Kawasaki Z650 banner

Adjusting rear shock easily

33K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  mattelic 
#1 ·
So, I have just read the second magazine review that says the rear shock must be removed to adjust the rear shock preload. This was in MCN this week, I think previously it was Motorcycle Sport & Leisure that reported this misinformation. This is not correct. While the tool supplied in the tool kit is practically useless, you do not need to remove the shock. All you need is a punch, big screwdriver (I used an 8" 3/8" drive socket extension) or something similar. Get access from the left side cover and push the adjusting nibs the direction you need to go to decrease or increase the spring preload ring. (Righty tighty, lefty loosey). You may need to use a rubber hammer on the extension if you can't push hard enough with your hand only. Now throw away that preload tool and use the space in the bag for a proper mini vise grip.

#7 · (Edited)
Alright took the plunge and set it to six, i think (first pic).The second pick shows how the cover or side faring whatever it's called peels back off the tank and installs back easily, just three button style fasteners. Don't be scared. Just bouncing on the bike It does feel stiffer, haven't gotten to ride it yet. My stupid bar ends aren't coming off.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
From the stock position (3) it's Opposite, clockwise soft, counter clockwise stiffer. I guess it depends on from what side you look at it. Staring at it from the back of the bike. Another way of looking at it, Is turning the wrench down stiffer. Turning it up softer. Hope I didn't confuse you.

#12 ·
I just adjusted the shock by 2 clicks and it made a big difference. I am about 190 lbs / 86 kg and I might want to go one extra click in future.

As mention above all you need to do is to remove plastic covers from left side and seat. No need to do any heavy operations. I used the provided tool and it worked just fine. You can sneak between the frames below the seat , just move the cables to the side and it will work just fine. I am attaching few pictures how I did it (sorry I had to take pictures myself while figthing my 2 year old from eating the fasteners :-D)

As mentioned above to increase the stiffness you want to compress the spring more, meaning you are going to right from looking from the front of the bike, or better you are pushing down on the tool if you go from left side. Just look at it and you will see how it works, easy

Attachments

#13 ·
Hey Everyone,
Just got the bike last week (used) and appreciate all the guidance. This is the first DIY adjustment I made. I am around 250 so I set it to the 6th position and I will see how that goes. I think eventually I will need to upgrade. I only took the two panels indicated in the owners manual off and used the tool provided. Had to finesse a bit between the wires but got it to work.

Thanks for the Help!

#16 ·
Sorry to revive this and all, but I'm 240 without gear and I was trying to adjust my preload but ran into some snags. To be honest I think I really screwed it up lol. I don't even know how many times I turned it because the tool kept slipping but I I believe the third time the spring kind of clinked. I have a before and after pic. White dot that is intact is before and after I turned it maybe a whole lot. Dumb question, if I keep turning it, will it reset back to where it was before I started? Or would I have to basically go the other way to do that? I went from the left side and pushed down. I honestly can't tell if it's stiffer or not.

#17 ·
Sorry to revive this and all, but I'm 240 without gear and I was trying to adjust my preload but ran into some snags. To be honest I think I really screwed it up lol. I don't even know how many times I turned it because the tool kept slipping but I I believe the third time the spring kind of clinked. I have a before and after pic. White dot that is intact is before and after I turned it maybe a whole lot. Dumb question, if I keep turning it, will it reset back to where it was before I started? Or would I have to basically go the other way to do that? I went from the left side and pushed down. I honestly can't tell if it's stiffer or not.
Were you able to get this figured out? I might be able to offer some assistance if you still have questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.