Rusty chain - 2017+ Kawasaki Z650 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shamsul Kamal

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Rusty chain

Three or four days ago I notice my chain is kinda dry. Then two days ago I rode in the rain. Yesterday the chain has rust.
So today I clean up the chain try to brush the rust out and lube it.

Lesson learned.
1. After washing your bike please immediately lube the chain.
2. After riding your bike in the rain please immediately lube the chain.
3. You need about 6-7 feet to roll the bike for the chain to make full complete turn. It a pain doing this without a center stand. I need to clean a bit of chain section. Roll to 1.5 feet stop clean the expose section, stand up roll again. Bent down clean again. Haha.

Question.
Once rust appear is my chain already damaged?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 02:19 AM

How bad is the rust? Post up a picture so we can see if it's salvageable or not. I made the mistake of letting an older bike's chan air dry and it started to rust.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Sorry i did not take pics when it was rusty color. spray WD 40 let is sit then brush the rust away with soft toothbrush hehe. Wash with water dan wipe with cloth. immediately spay chain lube. but i notice a bit of dark stain probably rust stain now becoming dark color. I will ask the dealer mechanic regarding the chain condition later and when i see them to adjust the chain. i think it need adjustment to tighten it a bit. The mileage is about 3500 km
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 11:13 AM

I have heard that you can lean the bike over the side stand and get the rear wheel off the ground enough to rotate the wheel.
May be easier than pushing the bike all over the driveway when doing maintenance on the chain.

Ride safely
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 12:56 PM

Yep, time to buy that paddock stain for easier chain maintenance, especially when adjusting it. WD40 is an excellent product to use right after washing it, as it is a "water displacer", then wipe it all down, then use good chain lube. I use Bel-Ray because it does NOT fling off. And lube it on the lower inside of the chain, not the top, as you rotate the wheel. Centrifugal force throws it toward the sprocket and inner roller area.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

DIY paddock stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp Freeman View Post
I have heard that you can lean the bike over the side stand and get the rear wheel off the ground enough to rotate the wheel.
May be easier than pushing the bike all over the driveway when doing maintenance on the chain.

Ride safely

This will work hehe. Move the brick to the rear to lift the rear wheel and move it to the front to lift the front wheel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	594  
JACoH likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 03:07 PM

Rolling it around is definitely a pain haha but this is a good tip for people. Always ensure proper lube is there and all will be good. Is the tooth brush a bit too soft though?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page