Two Questions from New Owner- Advice Needed - 2017+ Kawasaki Z650 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Two Questions from New Owner- Advice Needed

Dear Esteemed 650íers,

I recently picked up a 2019 Ninja 650, and have two questions about potential issues that Iíd love your advice on. Iíve searched, and although there is a single post from 2012 about this in Riderforums, I have not seen this issue here.

1) Three times in the first 150 miles, the bike has cut the engine off (like a stall) while I am downshifting to first with the clutch pulled in as I slow to a stop. Has anyone else had this issue? Iíve checked idle and throttle/clutch cable slack- all look good. It starts right up again with the starter without issue.

2) Whenever I am moving slow enough tp hear, upon both opening or closing the throttle, I hear a single audible click, either below or behind me (tough to tell), nearly every time. This happens in gear but also in neutral with the clutch pulled in (so I am not certain this is a chain issue). Is this just a normal tick sound?

Any advice appreciated- Many thanks!

Zelig

2019 Ninja 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 02:32 PM

i) The exact same thing happens when you shift into first with the side stand down, so maybe the side-stand interlock switch thinks the side stand is down somehow.
ii) I also hear a single click when rolling on the throttle, and another when rolling off. I think it is a solenoid in the fuel system. Sounds like a solenoid. Modern engines are full of active controls like this. Have you also noticed that the motorcycle sounds like a fax machine when you shut it off? Same kind of issue. Normal for the Z650.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
On that note.

The shutting off has never happened to me. I do get a clunk when I down shift to first at almost any speed.

The clicking I haven't experienced other than the normal throttle click that is audible even when the bike is off and you roll the throttle on and off.

As the last poster stated, the shutting off might be some kind of malfunction, that you should get checked.

WhitexShadow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to you both!
Glad to hear the clicking is just regular fueling noises.
I had the shut down happen 3 times today (once at about 45 mph on a local highway), so am bringing it in Monday...

Zelig

2019 Ninja 650
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 07:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelig View Post
Thanks to you both!
Glad to hear the clicking is just regular fueling noises.
I had the shut down happen 3 times today (once at about 45 mph on a local highway), so am bringing it in Monday...

Zelig
That does sound mighty like a malfunctioning kickstand switch, or maybe a weak kickstand spring...

Not at all like some inattentive old fart unintentionally hitting the kill switch (whose name I will not reveal!).
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Ha! We will not press you to reveal names...

2019 Ninja 650
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Bike stalled again today- and I might be onto the culprit:

I noticed that both last time and this, as I was decelerating, and adding throttle to rev-match, there was a backfire (intake, I think) and suddenly no response on the throttle- I wonder if it is an air/fuel mixture issue, and that the engine is starved for fuel in that moment, precipitating a stall...

2019 Ninja 650
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelig View Post
Bike stalled again today- and I might be onto the culprit:

I noticed that both last time and this, as I was decelerating, and adding throttle to rev-match, there was a backfire (intake, I think) and suddenly no response on the throttle- I wonder if it is an air/fuel mixture issue, and that the engine is starved for fuel in that moment, precipitating a stall...
Could be, hopefully it's just a faulty O2 sensor and nothing that will take too long. Either way that sounds really dangerous.

WhitexShadow
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Well, I took the bike in for first service, and they raised the idle. I didnít have any issues with it cutting out on the 30 minute drive after, but they set the idle up at 1700, which seems awfully high. Where is your idle sitting at?

2019 Ninja 650
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:31 AM

Garage
At cold start, mine idles at about 1700; once thoroughly warmed up, 1250. This is within spec of the owner's and service manuals.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page