LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 03:08 PM

It is...

2019 Ninja 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:58 PM

Garage
I certainly can't say high octane will hurt the engine, but I will say this: If I am running 87 with no problems, then switch to 93 or 94 and start having problems, the fuel sure has to be considered as a possible cause. Plenty of folks know more than me, but with things like vehicles, guns, and other complex potentially hurtful and expensive toys and tools-- I go by the manuals. It's hard to get bad results that way.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenslow View Post
I certainly can't say high octane will hurt the engine, but I will say this: If I am running 87 with no problems, then switch to 93 or 94 and start having problems, the fuel sure has to be considered as a possible cause. Plenty of folks know more than me, but with things like vehicles, guns, and other complex potentially hurtful and expensive toys and tools-- I go by the manuals. It's hard to get bad results that way.
With the recent posts about backfiring, I might stick with regular. I'm like you, if the manual says to use a certain thing, I stick to it, I am sure the engineers have a better idea about their design. However getting something better quality "should" not cause problems. For instance I've been using synthetic oil in all my vehicles since forever. Never had a problem and lasts longer. So I understand there could be performance gain.

WhitexShadow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 04:05 PM

Garage
you're wasting your money higher than 87..unless you're not stock and have radically modified.. there is a thread somewhere here by Tremonte it was early on in this group.. smart guy.. does a lot of thorough testing
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 07:58 PM

I made this video quite a while back... Here's an explaination of octane types and the effects on different motorcycle engines.

Bored? Looking for info? Check here: www.tremonte.tv
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:52 PM

Garage
Just for curiosity's sake, over the past couple of weeks I ran 2 tanks of 89 octane through my Z650, then 2 tanks of 87. I really couldn't tell any significant difference in the power delivery between the two, but gas mileage was a different story. With the 89 octane, I averaged a fraction over 55 MPG. Using the 87, the mileage was a fraction over 58 MPG. Important to note, the trips made were identical over those two weeks other than maybe a couple of around-town jaunts -- overall, a mixture of in-town and highway trips that I take on a weekly basis -- and being conscious of the fact I was trying to make a valid comparison I took care to keep my riding style consistent over the entire period. Doesn't prove anything, of course, but it surely tends to support the manual's specification of 87 octane fuel.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by czrlaker View Post
However getting something better quality "should" not cause problems.

But you are assuming that higher-octane is better-quality fuel. It's not. It's just formulated to work better in engines of higher compression ratios. Using high octane in an engine designed to run best on fuel of a lower octane rating is sort of like feeding your dog prime steak -- he might not object to it, but it's not necessarily the best thing for him!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenslow View Post
But you are assuming that higher-octane is better-quality fuel. It's not. It's just formulated to work better in engines of higher compression ratios. Using high octane in an engine designed to run best on fuel of a lower octane rating is sort of like feeding your dog prime steak -- he might not object to it, but it's not necessarily the best thing for him!
Good point, noted

WhitexShadow

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page