Z650, my thoughts so far... - 2017+ Kawasaki Z650 Forum
 5Likes
  • 5 Post By Naz

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2018, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Naz

Z650, my thoughts so far...

So I just thought I'd share my thoughts on my z650 experience so far. I started out biking quite late, at age 19. I rode offroad bikes only for a few years but I quickly tired of having to trailer my bike everywhere. That's when I decided to go the dual sport route. I bought a brand new Honda Bros 125 and only had it for 2 months before I sold it. Terrible bike for my needs at the time.
[IMG]P1000416 by , [/IMG]
I then bought a new Yamaha Tw200, had it for a year before I sold it. Not bad offroad but too little power to stay out of trouble with the cagers.
[IMG]Dsc01498 by , [/IMG]
It was at this time that I bought my first new BMW. It was a 650 X Country and I kept it for 3 years having had many excellent adventures with it. To this day it remains one of my favorite bikes.
[IMG]P1030160 by , [/IMG]
I also had a Dr 200 at the same time as the Bmw and sold it a few years ago.
[IMG]230BWP1040894 by , [/IMG]
Having had enough of the offroad thing, the need for speed started to grow in me. Enter the Honda Cb600f, in line 4 cylinder hitting the limiter at 13k rpm, this was perhaps too much for me!
I sold it after only having done 1300km on it, I knew it was only a matter of time before it bit me,badly!
[IMG]P1060641 by ,r[/IMG]
Fast forward a few years, I got me a new Ducati scrambler urban Enduro. It was sold after a few months with just 700kms on it. I just couldn't live with it.
[IMG]DSC_0277-01 by , [/IMG]
So,as you can see, I don't keep my bikes for long but I suspect that is all about to change. Enter the Kawasaki z650.
Got my one in September '17 and I'm loving every minute of it. Here are my thoughts on owning it:
Looks: Although subjective, I initially didn't really like the look of it, it seemed too Japanese generic naked bike to me. However, it has grown on me not to mention that Kawasaki was my least favorite Japanese brand! (I don't like green!)
Performance: Absolutely perfect for me. I don't ride fast nor do I delight in going round bends dragging my bits on the tarmac. I'm sure the z650 is capable of doing just that, I however am not. It will do an indicated 200km/h(more on a longer road) and will sit right on the back of a Ducati scrambler up till this speed, I know from first hand experience.
Comfort: This is quite important I feel. In my opinion, the z650 may just be better suited to the shorter rider as yours truly is. At 1.65m it fits me perfectly and I have done 300km rides easily. No pains,nothing cramped up,just ergonomic satisfaction. I have recently added my old MRA screen which has made a huge difference to wind blast as well.
In conclusion, I simply love this bike. From it's short rider friendly seat height to it's relative light weight, it's intake growl to its eagerness to lift the front wheel, the fact that if ridden decently I get almost 300km on a tank of fuel and that it's happy to do 90km/h or 150km/h all day according to my mood ,
I think I have found my forever bike!
[IMG]PSX_20171224_065250 (1) by , on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]Kawasaki z650 by , on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]Kawasaki z650 by , on Flickr[/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2018, 12:22 PM

Great review and one thing I have noticed is how your photography skills improved over time. Or maybe you just like the z650 more and took better pictures.
And it's never too late to learn how to ride, didn't start until my early 20's and it has been great!
Old 02-21-2018, 02:11 PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences and in depth comparison/background on each of the bikes you've owned. I've been riding dirt bikes and quads for years, but this will be my first venture into a street bike. I'll be turning 30 next month, so hopefully that comes with some cheaper insurance rates aha. Glad to hear you love the z650, as its in my shortlist of bikes to consider purchasing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2018, 11:16 PM

Beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Naz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowasaki View Post
Great review and one thing I have noticed is how your photography skills improved over time. Or maybe you just like the z650 more and took better pictures. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
And it's never too late to learn how to ride, didn't start until my early 20's and it has been great!
Thanks, glad to know I'm not alone on the late start!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggs View Post
Thanks for sharing your experiences and in depth comparison/background on each of the bikes you've owned. I've been riding dirt bikes and quads for years, but this will be my first venture into a street bike. I'll be turning 30 next month, so hopefully that comes with some cheaper insurance rates aha. Glad to hear you love the z650, as its in my shortlist of bikes to consider purchasing.
I'm sure you will really enjoy the freedom that a street bike brings.