Mirror replacement - 2017+ Kawasaki Z650 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Mirror replacement

To me, the stock Z650 mirrors are the ugliest part of the bike so they had to go. I replaced them with CRG Arrow bar end mirrors using CRG bar end mounts. Here are the results and below is a quick write up about the swap.

The stock mirrors come right off but the bar ends/weights weren't so simple. What finally worked was to heat the hex bolt inside the bar end with a torch then let it cool then heat again. Once it's hot get a solid hold on the black part of the bar end with some vice grips and add a lot of pressure to the 5mm hex bolt. The bolt stays super tight for a lot longer than you think it should. Once the bolt is loose enough that you can hold the bar end by hand, grab it and pull while you unthread the bolt. A lot of pulling and wiggling and eventually it will come out.

Installing the CRG mirrors is straight forward. Assemble and insert the bar end mounts, tighten, then clamp on the mirrors and tighten. Overall they look 100 times better and don't vibrate any more than you'd expect. I may try an old gimmick called a BarSnake if I can find one to reduce vibration. Without the weights the vibes get a little annoying after a couple hours of riding.

The original mirror holes are plugged with plastic auto body retainers. $2 at a body shop and 5 minutes of trim to fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:41 PM

Thanks a lot for the write up and the tips. Could some grips potentially help the extra vibes for the rides? That looks waaaaay better than stock btw.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:14 PM

Just did mine today. Video of the install process is uploading now. I'll link when it's finished.

Bored? Looking for info? Check here: www.tremonte.tv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:28 PM

The install:

https://youtu.be/rSvFxGTTEMU?list=PL...Hc3469xKXmT9CT

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:04 PM

Thanks for all of the great video tutorials Tremonte. Those are some badass looking bar end mirrors though.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 07:16 AM

Geno Horri, love the look and can not do anything but agree on the uglines on the stock mirrors.

I bought similar mirrors, but because the screws behind the glued mirror glas was lacking locktight, they quickly came of one by one when riding over 100 km/h. really disappointed but thats what u get when buying chinese parts for low price (12 USD).

Hope i can find/order some new ones before getting pulled over...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 10:44 AM

Geno, I tried a few years back to find Bar Snakes, but apparently they are out of business. Perhaps a simple piece of old garden hose in the bars might suffice!? I put on Biltwell Renegade grips, pretty cushy, or there are the Grab On foam sleeves that fit over the stock grips.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 10:58 AM

Tyken, I had the same issue with one of mine. I went with a different manufacturer, and have had no issues since. The brand was LTC.

You don't have to remove the bar weights to install the end mirrors. You just have to get the red locktite to break free so you can extend the mounting area, or tap the weight inward to use the expansion mount that comes with the aftermarket mirrors. You will lose the bar end doing this, though. The third option is to loosen the controls and move them inward by 3/8" and attach the mirrors directly on the end of the stock bar. 3/8" doesn't seem like much, but you can definitely feel the difference once you move both sides. That is why I chose to modify mine by extending the mounting area, as in the video I linked.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Ok, so if you are able to remove the weights completely. Then how important is the metal clip? I have installed and removed my mirrors for different reasons and that clip is always bent and distorted when I disassemble them.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by czrlaker View Post
Ok, so if you are able to remove the weights completely. Then how important is the metal clip? I have installed and removed my mirrors for different reasons and that clip is always bent and distorted when I disassemble them.
Also the bar end weight, is lighter than the new mirrors I purchased, it is my understanding that I wouldn't need the bar end weights anymore. Am I correct?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page