Hello from NC - 2017+ Kawasaki Z650 Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Hello from NC

I've owned a few sport bikes before, but at 43 years old those days are behind me. I've been researching the Z650 since I've been out of work due to shoulder surgery. I will pull the trigger on this bike in a few months because I know if I buy now, it will kill me to see it sitting and not being ridden since the doctor won't fully release me until April. In the meantime, I've found a few ideas to change up on it once I do buy it. Thanks for all of your input on this site. It's very informative.

Tremonte, your videos have been a big help in my decision. Hopefully one day we can ride together since you're not that far away.
Tremonte likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 12:57 PM

Welcome to the forum and I hope you have a speedy recovery! The Z650 is not exactly sporty, yet not a sit back cruiser so it should be just he bike you're looking for.
Have you test ridden one before your surgery?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 01:06 PM

Welcome to the forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 01:27 AM

Garage
Don't worry "old" friend. Be patient. I will be 70 later this year. I still want to scrub the shoulders of my Pirellis
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 04:47 AM

Welcome from UK.I have found the Z one of the few bikes the riding position suits me out of the box without any alterations,mind you I am also lucky in having reached 71 I am free from aches and pains
oldfart likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 09:43 AM

Oldfart and Jimlowe. Wow I thought at 55 I am old, hope I can ride as long you guys.
oldfart likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:04 AM

Sure you will Shamsul
oldfart likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I know in the grand scheme of things I'm not that old, but I would like to still be riding at 70. I have a feeling if I were on a superbike, my odds of that being a reality are significantly lower. I've grown out of the hooligan stage, for the most part. I'm sure I will pull the occasional shenanigans, though.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 05:17 AM

The trouble with modern superbikes is they way more power than you can use on the highway,so you ride around using a fraction of their capability,whereas The Z you can wring its neck a bit which is far more satisfying,and a well ridden one will hold its own in the twisties with more powerful machines,of the many bikes I have owned 2 stand out for the fun factor a 600 Ducati monster and the Triumph street triple, niether could be classed as a "superbike".I lived in Germany for quite a few years and one of the bikes I owned there was a Kawasaki zzr 1100 which at the time was the fastest factory machine available,and on the unrestricted Autobahns I saw 170mph more than a few times,but on twisty road was no faster than a well ridden 600.
oldfart and aemacleod like this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

I spent 2 and a half years in Germany in the mid 90s, and checked on getting a bike while I was there. The insurance alone would have cost almost as much as I made a month as an E-2 in the Army at the time, so I never rode while in Europe. I did ride a scooter from time to time. Lol

You are exactly right about the super bikes. I've been on the edge of my capabilities while riding them, and they still had plenty left to offer. I don't want to have that power in my hands and not have the skills to use it.
jimlowe likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page