Kawasaki Z650 banner

Delkevic exhausts

35K views 54 replies 14 participants last post by  Janielle 
#1 ·
Looks like Delkevic exhausts are available, on their website (Delkevic.us) and on ebay. Look OK, and they say they are LOUD, but I have never heard of them. Been around for 5 years they say.

#3 ·
Hard to tell with a recording of sound, but I'm thinking that is too loud for a ride of more than, say, about 2 minutes? I know loud sells pipes, but some of us are respectful of neighbors, aging eardrums, and negative comments about motorcyclists.

#5 ·
I happen to live in Colorado about 30 minutes away from Delkevic office. I am trying to see if I can stop by their office and grab some pics for you guys and maybe get a little more info on their exhausts. If they let me visit, what else would you guys like to know? From their website, it seems like they have quite a few different style exhausts for Z650.

#6 ·
I was literally looking up a bunch a videos for Delkevic exhausts last night. They have a video for the Z650 with the 8" mini on which is what I was originally looking at. Based on a different video though, they said the mini was the loudest out of the ones they sold. Another guy said his friends had the 9" and 14" and they were quieter than the mini. So yea, getting some confirmation on what one is the quietest would be great :p. Im probably gonna get the 14" and hope.

#7 ·
Would you mind sharing the video you were looking at? I was looking at the 8" and 10" ones and I like the carbon fiber 10" one quite a bit. Will go well with my black Z650, I think.
If you are ready to order, you can maybe call them? Their website lists a phone number for them:

I have been looking at these here: Delkevic USA | Motorcycle Mufflers | Slip-on Silencers | Exhaust Systems
http://stores.ebay.com/delkevicus09/?_dmd=1&_nkw=z650

14" carbon looks pretty decent too. I think someone somewhere posted about ordering that one. I seem to lose track of all the videos and links I see..lol

#8 ·
Hi All!
My name is Janielle and I'm the US branch manager for Delkevic. I currently ride a 2014 Ninja 650 with our 8" mini carbon pipe. If there is a dealer sign up, please send me in the right direction, I only got the free sign up when I registered.

I've lived in Denver my whole life and have always loved cars. I got sort of sucked into the motorcycle business and have been running Delkevic for four and half years and been riding for two and half. I'm definitely a fair weather rider and I always joke I'm probably the girliest girl on a bike with a fendi backpack :)

A bit about Delkevic, we started in the UK in 2007 and opened our shop here in 2009. We've since opened shops in Australia and Japan. A lot of people have heard of us and a lot haven't. I always say a good general rule to follow with any aftermarket exhaust is the shorter it is, the louder it will be. The only exception is if the bike has a catalytic converter, then no pipe is too loud IMHO. There isn't an audible sound difference between the 8" and 9" mufflers brand new. If you have a db reader there will be a tiny difference but the construction is the same and the only true difference is 1" of fiberglass packing. The 8/9" mufflers are great for around town riding where you want to be heard and don't have strict noise ordinances. If you ride for longer than an hour or are concerned about sound I would suggest a 13/14" length. The 13/14" mufflers still have a very decent amount of sound with the baffle out and cars will hear you accelerating but they can also be quiet with the clutch in or in low RPM. You have a lot more control over the amount of sound with your riding with the longer mufflers. There are differences in the materials stainless v carbon but the overall loudness follows the length.

Feel free to shoot me a PM or message us through our website. I'm happy to support your forum as a rider and dealer and answer any questions or concerns anyone here has.
Cheers
Janielle

#10 ·
Thanks for the info! I didn't think we'd be lucky enough to get a manager from delkevic in here. I m not sure if there is a dealer signup however the description in the vendor forum section says "Supporting Vendors Only. If you wish to become a Supporting Vendors, please contact sales@motorcycle.com". Once again Im not sure if this is for Z650 sellers only or related products as well but its my best guess to your question. I would just use the contact us link at the bottom and ask.

Do you have the info for decibel levels of the exhausts for the Z650? It would be really great if you you post them so we could get a comparison of all the different exhausts and the difference with and without the baffle in.

#14 ·
Awesome! I did talk to the branch manager through email and she said she was out next week. If you're not in a rush, I'll try to swing by their warehouse week after next when she gets back and I can try to talk to her into giving all of us forum members a great deal? I'm 99% sure as well that I'll get a Delkevic :)

#15 ·
If any of you have a shop nearby, it would be nice to see a before and after run on the bike to see how much it messes with the AFR. That, and what gains are had. I'm always leary when companies don't release that info. I wanted to go with the IXIL originally, but never could get them to show any testing.

#16 ·
That's a good point. I'll talk to the Delkevic people about gains vs. running lean at all. I think I do have shops nearby so I'll see what I can do about that.

I've been looking at your videos to learn a bunch of stuff. Thank you for some awesome videos! Were you able to get testing results from Akrapovic? I know you did dyno runs before and after. Were you running 1 point lean with baffle in or out?

#17 · (Edited)
Akra had their before and after dynos on their site at one point, as did Yoshimura. It was one point lean with baffles out. We didn't test with them in, but it should be less in theory. Once I installed the Rapid Bike and did a basic fuel map, we gained a little more HP through the entire range, and a bit more torque as well.

Here's the dyno's overlaid so you can see the sequential progress that was made. Notice the peak power stays close to the same after the Rapid Bike, but we gained just over 2 more HP in the midrange where it was running lean. He also managed to flatten the torque curve across the board, and remove most of the dips. Throttle response is beast now too.

#18 ·
I saw your video after dyno and it looked like you were really having a blast! I was able to reach out to Delkevic and they said they have dyno sheets for most of their exhausts. Here is the one for their 14" exhaust.

How much did the Rapid Bike and tuning set you back? I've never done dyno runs on a bike so I'm not sure what to expect in terms of cost. Is it cheaper than a car?

Can you have multiple tunes on that Rapid bike? One or baffle in, and one for baffle out?

Attachments

#20 ·
That's not the same bike as ours.... So basically they haven't tested on the Z650, nor does that show torque or fuel mapping. All I see is a .75hp gain, but at what expense? I'd really like to see a full spec dyno sheet to show where the fuel mixture goes. It would be great to find an alternative manufacturer that gives performance without having to spend a fortune. The Rapid Bike will run you in the neighborhood of $400, maybe less. That's for the EVO, and you DO NOT need a custom dyno. It will tune itself over time, just plug it in, load the included Z650 map, and let it learn. Any future mods, and it will recalibrate. If it senses an issue, it will default to the stock map. And yes, you can also load multiple maps, and with the click of a button, handle bar mounted if you wish, you can go from performance mode to fuel economy mode. You really can't beat it for the price. I went through all the stages of dyno'ing to get information out there for people wanting to mod their bike. No one seems to do the leg work and get actual info and do testing between mods, and I wanted to be different. Most just bolt crap on and hope it goes well. I like information and seeing what I have paid for, and also knowing that the claims that are put on a product are what you actually get.

In the next day or so, I'm going to gear the bike down with the Vortex sprocket and 520 chain set that I have sitting next to me. After that, I will do another dyno to see if any more power is squeezed out from the rotational weight reduction and also if the Rapid Bike has done any fine tuning since adding it. I know the acceleration will increase a bit, and the torque curve will change, but a dyno will not show that by the way it calculates. The best way is to do lap times, but I don't have accurate equipment for that. For simple pulls on the dyno to see results, it's cheap. A tune session can run you a few hundred depending on what needs done. Call around to a few shops and see what they offer. A simple dyno is anywhere from $20-$40. All depends on their equipment.

#23 ·
So I finally decided to go ahead and buy this exhaust. Its got a nice growl to it and full of bass. The install was pretty easy considering I had no instructions and no idea how to do anything like that. I made a short video so you guys could hear the sound a little better as well of a more well lit picture of my bike with it on. Hope this convinces some people. Its really great quality for the low price.

Attachments

#24 ·
So I finally decided to go ahead and buy this exhaust. Its got a nice growl to it and full of bass. The install was pretty easy considering I had no instructions and no idea how to do anything like that. I made a short video so you guys could hear the sound a little better as well of a more well lit picture of my bike with it on. Hope this convinces some people. Its really great quality for the low price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbc27boCKfQ&feature=youtu.be
I love the growl and bike is looking super nice! Does it stick out or hang any lower than stock?
Thank you for making the video, I think I'm going to go ahead and pick one up as well! :grin2:

#27 ·
I did visit the warehouse the other day and held the carbon fiber 14". I think I'll do the same as you. It's very light and welds are beautiful!!

Do you have any pics of the bike during daytime? I have yet to see pics of it on the bike.

Thanks again for the awesome video! Love the purple and black!

#26 ·
Great sounding system. I heard somewhere that the more you ride/drive with a new exhaust the better it eventually sounds or at least becomes what will be normal for it with the build up that happens on the inside. Interested in knowing how much different it will sound then.

#30 ·
I have had a couple of Delkevic Exhausts on my bikes.

First one was a 1995 VFR750. Nice low tone and not too loud.

I had one on my CB500X which again had a nice low tone without being too loud.

I had one on my Ninja 650R - the 9" Carbon. I was bouncing back and forth between the 14" and the 9" model and went with the 9". The build quality was good and the installation was easy but the thing was too loud for my tastes - I should have went with the 14" version.

I ended up with a left over Scorpion model that I found cheap on a clearance sale - definitely a bit more to install (I had to shim up their bracket to eliminate some vibration) but a very nice sound.

#32 ·
Thank you for taking the time to writing the review.
Was it loud with the baffle in or with the baffle taken out?

I'm about to finally meet the manager at the Delkevic's warehouse here and check out the 14" on her 650R in person. I'm leaning more towards the 8" or 9" but if it's obnoxiously loud all the time, I may just opt for 14" as well.

#35 ·
It was truly a pleasure meeting the manager over at Delkevic. She was very knowledgable and very helpful. She even let me play with her bike that has 8" exhaust to figure out if it will work for me.
On top of all that, she offered to put on the 14" muffler on her bike to let me try that one out as well but I had made up my mind by then. I'm going with the 9" muffler with their exhaust system. She offered to give me multiple mounting brackets so I can bend one of them to try and mount the 9" sideways to shoot the fumes outwards to the side.
She did bring a valid point about noise at the track and showed me a few ways to quiet down the 8" and 9" exhausts by modifying the baffle a little.
All in all, it was a great trip and they will have a black Friday sale next Friday and that's when I pick up my exhaust.

Here are a few pictures of the 8" on her bike:

https://imgur.com/a/Z4yCA

I can take a bunch more pics of the facility or the different mufflers they offer if anyone is interested.

The good part with their exhaust systems is that once you've gotten the exhaust system, you can always swap out the muffler with another and they are all same diameter.
If anyone has any other questions, I can help get them answered :)

Great company, great people and the product looks good enough to my eye. She even hooked me up with a dyno shop to run some tests after exhaust is put on :)

And a bonus picture of the cutest puppies I ever saw!! Sorry for blurred picture, the puppies would not hold still!

#38 ·
You shouldn't need to tune even if you take the baffle out. You'll probably be alright with a K&N and our system but you may need to keep the baffle in if you find you don't have enough backpressure but this only ever happens with short mufflers. Additional modifications may require tuning. Tuning will give you the peak AF ratios but it isn't necessary and you'll likely be spending $300 for 0.5-1 additional horsepower. I suggest to make all the modifications you want and then tune so you aren't paying for multiple dynos and programming maps.

We are having a black Friday sale. I don't think it is appropriate for me to advertise on the forum since you guys don't have a dealer account setup. You can find the discount codes through our newsletter and they are posted on our facebook page.

#39 ·
Well, I took the Plunge and ordered the 14" stubby. I have been watching, listening and researching exhaust systems for awhile. I am looking forward to installing it. I am hoping I have made the right decision to improve sound, horse power and performance.

#40 ·
I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed. I ordered the 9" exhaust myself and just have to go pick it up. Looking forward to installing the exhaust and feeling safer on the road when people can hear me. Exhaust and first oil change, and hopefully try to do a track day next year :)

#42 ·
S2K MoZo,
I received my 14" Stubby in the mail the other day. But, I can't open it because it is suppose to be my Christmas present. Crap! can't install it yet. Hope you can do a video, of the installation process. Would love to see it! Thanks for showing us the pictures. Pretty cool!

#43 ·
Thanks! I hear ya on that one! Mine is supposed to be my birthday + Christmas gift as well. I'm not going to wait though since it's just going to get cooler here. I'm waiting for a nice and warm day to clean the garage and do the video. Don't want it to be all dirty and scratch anything up. lol

From what I hear, they are moving to a new warehouse where they will have a nice display, probably a dyno, and other things. They may host some tech days too :grin2:

#45 ·
Yeah, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that their warehouse is around 30 minutes from my house. They have a guy who can do dyno runs after I am done putting exhaust, I just have to put it on now.
I'll report back when I have more...for now, it's just a waiting game..lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.