Kawasaki Z650 banner

Need some advice on a new exhaust

41K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  pper 
#1 ·
I want to get new exhaust, preferably a slip on since I know nothing about dyno tuning. My biggest thing is volume and since manufacturers don't think its wise to list the decibels of their exhausts, its really difficult for me to make a decision. Ive seen almost every YouTube video. I love the way the Yoshimura sounds but in Tremotes comparison video, I really cant tell a difference with and without the db killer. I want to get a nicer sound with a db level as close to stock as possible. I know everything will be louder than stock. Can anyone on here who has an after market exhaust tell me what they have and what their db is (preferably with a silencer in)? Also I like the Arrow exhaust a lot but I guess you can only get it on a Spanish site? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Im in the same boat. I want a slip on because I want the sound. I couldn't care less about the performance gain, this is my first bike and it is powerful enough for me. Plus it sounds like I will have to spend over 1k for the full exhaust + tuner + paying for the mapping/flash. However I haven't been able to find a slip on for this bike. I thought the arrow was a slip on, but after looking it a little closer it looks like the full pipes are necessary and they are just selling them separate on ebay. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

#7 ·
I could be wrong here.. but I don't believe there are slip ons for this particular bike. That being said, Tremonte also did the dyno for the Yoshi, and a tune is not necessary for the exhaust. I think the non carbon one is 640'ish and the full carbon 740'ish. I have not tried the baffle in yet, but the youtube videos do it 0 justice. I cheaped out on my last bike and always kicked myself for getting the cheaper slip on, so for the full exhaust this time around, I went all out.

#8 ·
I thought the one Tremonte got was a slip on? Grr.. I know a full exhaust is better but there's only so much mechanically I can do to the bike myself. I really don't want to mess with a full exhaust or pay a lot for someone else to do it on top of the price for the exhaust. I guess this will have to be a long term goal for the time being.

#18 ·
Check the Two Brothers site for dyno info, and air to fuel ratios. Not all exhausts are tuned for the stock fuel maps, and will cause the bike to fall toward an overlean condition, requiring a fuel controller. At that point, spend the money on an exhaust approved by Kawasaki, such as the Akra or Yosh.

#20 ·
I have the Two Brothers S1R in black carbon. I've ridden it a couple times since swapping the exhaust with no noticeable issues. I bought the PowerCommander but haven't installed it yet. I plan to do this and get it dyno tuned in Spring.

I saw this disclaimer on Two Brother's site:

*NEVER dyno test your bike with carbon fiber or titanium canisters installed - the
intense heat and lack of cooling air can quickly burn through the canister material.
Two Brothers Racing does not provide a warranty for burned canisters.

Are they being serious or is this just a CYOA warranty killer for them? How would they suggest tuning the bike for their system if you have to take the muffler off to tune? :(

#28 ·
I just got my bike this week, but I'm planning on going with the Delkevic 8" Carbon Fiber model. I'm pretty sure it's going to sound much better, plus it looks good, doesn't require any remapping (according to their site), and is quite a bit cheaper than the others I was considering (Yoshi and Akro).

#32 ·
I got a full system, IXIL Dual Hyperlow and when I checked my headers I got a bit confused
there were no seals or new screws or nuts or anything in the package, and it nowhere said I needed any of that to install it on the website and I can't find any videos on the whole internet that go into any detail on that
they all just stick the headers on and screw it on, that's it
is no one putting in seals? is that not necessary?
Please someone unriddle me this mystery, would greatly appreciate it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.