Front suspension really soft... - 2017+ Kawasaki Z650 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Front suspension really soft...

Is it just me or is the front suspension really soft? I have noticed that when I unexpectedly brake "strong" it dips down really low. Im not punching on the brake just firmer than normal by mistake (it's my first bike), I don't blame the bike for the dip but I am concerned with how deep it plunges. Is there a preload adjustable setting for the front? Im 6ft 220lbs, Could that be a reason?

Last edited by czrlaker; 06-09-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 10:21 PM

Id say its to be expected on a bike of its class. The suspension was definitely tuned for riders under 180 lbs for sure, though with me i find the rear is a bit under damped. Another thing is you might want to use more rear brake. If you stop hard with only the front or very little rear, the bike will definitely dive harder.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
I use both breaks every time (sticking to MSC). However I have no other bike for comparison as this is my first bike. I have tested using only rear to coast into a stop sign @ low speeds and it doesn't feel effective at all or maybe a tad bit. Is that normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
I meant brakes by the way.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 09:27 AM

The cure for this would be a set of progressive springs for the front, or installing emulators once some become available. I believe I saw a spring kit listed for the front not long ago. The brake issue is from having soft lines on the bike. A solution to this would be to install hard line instead. That will take the spongy or "soft" feeling away and give you more braking.

Bored? Looking for info? Check here: www.tremonte.tv
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Thanks Tremonte. Has anyone heard of this company, I would like try the suspension improvement. Love this bike.

http://hyperpro.com/kawasaki-z650-2017/
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czrlaker View Post
I use both breaks every time (sticking to MSC). However I have no other bike for comparison as this is my first bike. I have tested using only rear to coast into a stop sign @ low speeds and it doesn't feel effective at all or maybe a tad bit. Is that normal?
It is normal. Rear brake is for control/slow down and not really for stopping. Press the rear brake 1st, the front will go down a bit then press the front brake. This way you wont feel the front dive to much.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamsul Kamal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by czrlaker View Post
It is normal. Rear brake is for control/slow down and not really for stopping. Press the rear brake 1st, the front will go down a bit then press the front brake. This way you wont feel the front dive to much.
Thank you. I will try that.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page