Puig Type IV Mirrors - 2017+ Kawasaki Z650 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Puig Type IV Mirrors

I bought the Puig Type IV Mirrors but can't get them to work. Further research reveals I need 'adapters'. Anyone know where to get these. I could probably make some out of aluminum pipe but would rather get the proper parts. Anyone install these yet?

Thanks
Shifty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 01:26 AM

Garage
The reason most after market bar ends / mirrors with adapters don't work is because of the bar weight that is inside the bars on the z650. The expansion adapter that comes with most bar ends/bar end mirrors doesn't fit because the weight has to be pushed back which I don't advise. I use the RhinoMoto Ninja 650 bar ends with mirror adapters because they just bolt into the bar weights like the OEM Z650 ones.

I take it these are the clamp on style? If they are and the clamps are 22mm, use these bar ends/mirror adapters.

https://www.rhinomoto.com/https:/www...mirror-mounts/

Last edited by FknLeon; 03-10-2018 at 01:35 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FknLeon View Post
The reason most after market bar ends / mirrors with adapters don't work is because of the bar weight that is inside the bars on the z650. The expansion adapter that comes with most bar ends/bar end mirrors doesn't fit because the weight has to be pushed back which I don't advise. I use the RhinoMoto Ninja 650 bar ends with mirror adapters because they just bolt into the bar weights like the OEM Z650 ones.

I take it these are the clamp on style? If they are and the clamps are 22mm, use these bar ends/mirror adapters.

https://www.rhinomoto.com/https:/www...mirror-mounts/

Thanks FknLeon.
I bought the bike used with less than 200 miles on it, but the previous owner has replaced the bar ends. I pulled them off & realized exactly what you said about the weights. Not sure how far in they'll go & didn't know how to 'attach' them to the expansion clamp of the new mirrors. I'll look into these You suggested. Do you know the approximate diameter and width of the grooves?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Here's the mounting instructions. They don't provide the second larger expansion sleeve though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180310-043237_1520678012421.png
Views:	150
Size:	490.8 KB
ID:	3810  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 09:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
Here's the mounting instructions. They don't provide the second larger expansion sleeve though.
Yeah that makes no sense why they wouldn't include it. It should of come with the two sleeves and they rely on each other to expand and fit inside the bar. I would contact where ever you bought these and inquire about the issue.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Just FYI. I accidentally pushed in the weights too far into the bars. A quick trip to the local Fastenal store, and bought the longest bolt available in that size. I tied a 10 gauge electrical wire and started pulling, a minute later and lots of strength exhausted, I was able to pull them back out.

WhitexShadow
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 06:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
Thanks FknLeon.
I bought the bike used with less than 200 miles on it, but the previous owner has replaced the bar ends. I pulled them off & realized exactly what you said about the weights. Not sure how far in they'll go & didn't know how to 'attach' them to the expansion clamp of the new mirrors. I'll look into these You suggested. Do you know the approximate diameter and width of the grooves?
The bar ends I suggested fit mirrors that have 22mm clamps. I don't know how wide the puig ones are.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page