Puig Type IV Mirrors - 2017+ Kawasaki Z650 Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 5
Puig Type IV Mirrors

I bought the Puig Type IV Mirrors but can't get them to work. Further research reveals I need 'adapters'. Anyone know where to get these. I could probably make some out of aluminum pipe but would rather get the proper parts. Anyone install these yet?

Thanks
Shifty
Shifty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 01:26 AM
Junior Member
 
FknLeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 15
Garage
The reason most after market bar ends / mirrors with adapters don't work is because of the bar weight that is inside the bars on the z650. The expansion adapter that comes with most bar ends/bar end mirrors doesn't fit because the weight has to be pushed back which I don't advise. I use the RhinoMoto Ninja 650 bar ends with mirror adapters because they just bolt into the bar weights like the OEM Z650 ones.

I take it these are the clamp on style? If they are and the clamps are 22mm, use these bar ends/mirror adapters.

https://www.rhinomoto.com/https:/www...mirror-mounts/




Last edited by FknLeon; 03-10-2018 at 01:35 AM.
FknLeon is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FknLeon View Post
The reason most after market bar ends / mirrors with adapters don't work is because of the bar weight that is inside the bars on the z650. The expansion adapter that comes with most bar ends/bar end mirrors doesn't fit because the weight has to be pushed back which I don't advise. I use the RhinoMoto Ninja 650 bar ends with mirror adapters because they just bolt into the bar weights like the OEM Z650 ones.

I take it these are the clamp on style? If they are and the clamps are 22mm, use these bar ends/mirror adapters.

https://www.rhinomoto.com/https:/www...mirror-mounts/



Thanks FknLeon.
I bought the bike used with less than 200 miles on it, but the previous owner has replaced the bar ends. I pulled them off & realized exactly what you said about the weights. Not sure how far in they'll go & didn't know how to 'attach' them to the expansion clamp of the new mirrors. I'll look into these You suggested. Do you know the approximate diameter and width of the grooves?
Shifty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 5
Here's the mounting instructions. They don't provide the second larger expansion sleeve though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180310-043237_1520678012421.png
Views:	150
Size:	490.8 KB
ID:	3810  
Shifty is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 09:44 AM
Junior Member
 
FknLeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
Here's the mounting instructions. They don't provide the second larger expansion sleeve though.
Yeah that makes no sense why they wouldn't include it. It should of come with the two sleeves and they rely on each other to expand and fit inside the bar. I would contact where ever you bought these and inquire about the issue.
FknLeon is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator
 
czrlaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: El Centro, CA
Posts: 260
Garage
Just FYI. I accidentally pushed in the weights too far into the bars. A quick trip to the local Fastenal store, and bought the longest bolt available in that size. I tied a 10 gauge electrical wire and started pulling, a minute later and lots of strength exhausted, I was able to pull them back out.

WhitexShadow
czrlaker is online now  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 06:23 AM
Junior Member
 
FknLeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
Thanks FknLeon.
I bought the bike used with less than 200 miles on it, but the previous owner has replaced the bar ends. I pulled them off & realized exactly what you said about the weights. Not sure how far in they'll go & didn't know how to 'attach' them to the expansion clamp of the new mirrors. I'll look into these You suggested. Do you know the approximate diameter and width of the grooves?
The bar ends I suggested fit mirrors that have 22mm clamps. I don't know how wide the puig ones are.
FknLeon is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rhinomoto Mirror Mounts for CRG Bar End Mirrors Tippaboo Appearance Modifications 13 05-01-2019 01:51 PM
Shad side case and puig touring windshield Shamsul Kamal Kawasaki Z650 General Discussion 7 01-30-2018 03:43 PM
Mustard Bikes fender eliminator + Puig windshield & frame sliders snapdragon What did you do to your Kawasaki Z650 today? 1 09-16-2017 10:49 AM
New Bar Ends, Mirrors, and Levers CHRIS What did you do to your Kawasaki Z650 today? 7 06-14-2017 01:31 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome