New Bar Ends, Mirrors, and Levers - 2017+ Kawasaki Z650 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CHRIS

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

New Bar Ends, Mirrors, and Levers

New member here. Looks like a good forum!

Already did the Yoshi fender eliminator. Put on new custom bar ends, CRG arrow mirrors, and some new levers this weekend. Like this much better than stock...

Next up are frame sliders, headlights, and blacked out case covers, then I'll be looking at exhaust...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3125.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	658   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2998.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	674  
Shamsul Kamal likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 07:46 PM

Looks great! What bar ends are those and did you have issues getting the original ones off?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Sent the info to you in a separate thread actually - ha. They were custom made from a company called Rhinomoto in San Jose. The guy's name is Steffen. Send him an email at [email protected] if you want some. https://www.kawasakiz650.com/forum/11...html#post12410

The bar ends are a sort of a bitch to get off (unless you're @Tremonte and have the magic touch) because the manufacturer used red Loctite. My advice is to use the soldering iron or heat gun for longer than you think you need to, and make sure you have the settings dialed in on your hammer drill first so you can immediately push hard and hammer the bolt out. I didn't get it right the first time and tore up the retainer clamp and vibration damper on one of the internal bar-end weights because it started spinning inside the bar. Had to jerry-rig some rubber grommets in there to make it work since the dampers and clamps are back ordered with Kawasaki. The second time I got it right, and it worked just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS View Post
Sent the info to you in a separate thread actually - ha. They were custom made from a company called Rhinomoto in San Jose. The guy's name is Steffen. Send him an email at [email protected] if you want some. https://www.kawasakiz650.com/forum/11...html#post12410

The bar ends are a sort of a bitch to get off (unless you're @Tremonte and have the magic touch) because the manufacturer used red Loctite. My advice is to use the soldering iron or heat gun for longer than you think you need to, and make sure you have the settings dialed in on your hammer drill first so you can immediately push hard and hammer the bolt out. I didn't get it right the first time and tore up the retainer clamp and vibration damper on one of the internal bar-end weights because it started spinning inside the bar. Had to jerry-rig some rubber grommets in there to make it work since the dampers and clamps are back ordered with Kawasaki. The second time I got it right, and it worked just fine.
I'm not sure who decided to use the red lock tight, but that was a horrible idea. As I have neither a soldering iron/heat gun or a hammer drill perhaps I could get the dealership to change the bar ends out with my first service. Love the look of bar end mirrors and those specific bar ends you have look fantastic. Did you have to reuse the stock bolt for the install? Also, how are the vibrations compared to the oem mirrors? Thanks!

- Nate

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
I'm not sure who decided to use the red lock tight, but that was a horrible idea. As I have neither a soldering iron/heat gun or a hammer drill perhaps I could get the dealership to change the bar ends out with my first service. Love the look of bar end mirrors and those specific bar ends you have look fantastic. Did you have to reuse the stock bolt for the install? Also, how are the vibrations compared to the oem mirrors? Thanks!

- Nate
Right on. If the dealership will do it, that would be an easy way to get it done. Rhinomoto provided new bolts which are a slightly different length the accommodate the change in overall bar end size. I spent an hour with calipers measuring everything so he could build them to spec, since they hadn't been done before for this bike.

No noticeable vibration at all - mirrors are clear at idle and highway speeds. Probably has something to do with the weights and placement of rubber dampers inside the bars.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 10:10 AM

Look good, glad to hear no blurry mirrorc . Meaning your handle bar does not vibate.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS View Post
Right on. If the dealership will do it, that would be an easy way to get it done. Rhinomoto provided new bolts which are a slightly different length the accommodate the change in overall bar end size. I spent an hour with calipers measuring everything so he could build them to spec, since they hadn't been done before for this bike.

No noticeable vibration at all - mirrors are clear at idle and highway speeds. Probably has something to do with the weights and placement of rubber dampers inside the bars.
Sweet! I sent Rhinomoto and email yesterday and am just waiting to hear back from them now. Glad I stumbled across your post, thanks for all the info. Also, that's awesome about the lack of vibration because the stock mirrors suck in that aspect.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Sweet! I sent Rhinomoto and email yesterday and am just waiting to hear back from them now. Glad I stumbled across your post, thanks for all the info. Also, that's awesome about the lack of vibration because the stock mirrors suck in that aspect.
I didn't notice much vibration in the stock mirrors personally, but the same or less in the bar end mirrors. There will always be a little in any two-cylinder bike, but it shouldn't impact your ability to stay safe. Can't read a license plate while I'm riding, but I can tell if there is a cop behind me or not

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page