Engine Failure - 2017+ Kawasaki Z650 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
AES

Engine Failure

So yesterday while riding on the highway, I was cruising and noticed my speed slowly dropping. I fed it more gas and had no increase. All of a sudden I hear the engine tone drop and the speed starts dropping fast. I start to move over to the shoulder and then the tire locks up. I pulled in the clutch and managed to pull over.

The engine seems completely seized. The starter clicks but no engine turn. I have an extended warranty so I will update as soon as I hear back from the dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 06:44 PM

Well thats a huge bummer

Hopefully all goes smooth and easy with getting it back up and running
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 10:53 AM

Scarey, makes me want to check coolant and change oil NOW. Did you notice heat levels? Mine seems to run hot, until it recently got hot outside...

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
AES

I did not see any kind of overheating on the temp gauge. My bike runs hot but never reaches the top bar. Also I was traveling consistently on the highway which usually keeps it cool.

Worth noting that on Monday it was a heat wave. Air was humid and warm. That should not be enough to seize an engine though.

Because I have the yoshimura Alpha exhaust, they are telling me that if there is any link to the exhaust in the failure, they won't cover it under warranty. I am still waiting for a diagnostic and will update soon.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
For info. I ride in 110°+ heat on the daily, I have riden in 118° heat and have never had a problem. Also I am running a Danmoto exhaust which from what I have heard will make the bike run hotter.

WhitexShadow
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 08:41 AM

Right where my temp gauge runs at as well. All I do is highway miles and we've had some HOT & HUMID days in MD this past couple weeks. Hope it all works out, Pretty sure Tremonte did a vid and said that same exhaust made his run cooler anyway. Doesn't matter, hope your ride gets fixed quick and under warranty!

Chris
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 08:07 AM

They won't find a link between the exhaust and the engine failing unless it was installed wrong and the exhaust had a severe leak at the ports. You would have had issues with predetonation which would have been obvious. Bad hesitation, pinging sound from the front of the bike, and way higher temps. For the exhaust to screw the AFR up that much, you would need to see 17-18AFR at all times, and the Yoshimura doesn't even get near that lean at all.

Bored? Looking for info? Check here: www.tremonte.tv
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
AES

The exhaust did indeed help the bike run cooler, and I torqued everything down to specification. I had no issues with leaks or pre-detonation. It also certainly doesn't seem to run more lean than the stock.

My appointment was made on the 27th. I'll have to get back to you all then
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
AES

Quick update:

I am still waiting to hear back from Kawasaki to see if they are going to cover it under the extended warranty.

The damages cost around $8300 without any warranty coverage.

The damages include the engine and the oil pump.

From what I was told, the engine connector rod heated up and bent, causing it to break and go into the cylinder, significant damage was caused to the engine, and metal shavings (I believe) caused an issue with the oil pump.

Will let everyone know what Kawasaki decides. The bike is 2017 with less than 15000 kilometers. This kind of damage should not be happening.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
AES

UPDATE:

With Kawasaki Protection Plus, not all of the damages are covered. For some reason I still need to pay ~800 out of pocket. Also at the extent of the damage and the labor and cost required, they still decided to do an engine rebuild and not a swap.

Apparently every part and its mother is back ordered, so I will let you guys know the verdict when I get the bike back in 2023 (not really.)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page