Engine blown out - 2017+ Kawasaki Z650 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Engine blown out

About a month ago my engine blew out. I went on a longer ride on a hotter day and my engine locked up.

I took it to the dealer and they said that the head gasket was blown and it had low oil. Since it is under a year old, they called Kawasaki. Because the oil was low they'll only pay for a portion of the repair. They said most likely the parts. The oil light indicator never came on, but I should have still checked it before I went on a longer ride that day.

They said they are going to need to rebuild the engine. They are going to give me a itemized list of what needs to be done, but over the phone they said ballpark $3k.
1. Is it worth rebuilding the engine, or should I get a new one? If I can even get a new one. Could there be issues with rebuilt engines?
2. What other engines would fit the z650 frame? If I wanted to put a different engine, would the frame have to be modified?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 04:11 PM
AES

Glad I am not the only one.

However, mine did not have low oil to my knowledge. I check it every morning before I ride, and I even checked it after I pulled over onto the shoulder. Both had levels in the bars.

Question:

Did you have an aftermarket exhaust on the bike? If so, did they try to blame it for the damages?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Yea I have a Yoshimura exhaust on it. But they haven't mentioned anything about it. I'll let you know if they do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 02:30 PM

That would be a little bit of a cop out if they tried to blame it on an aftermarket exhaust system, but that wouldn't be the first time I've heard it. Sorry to hear about your bikes guys. How many miles did you guys have on the engine just out of curiosity?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 06:20 PM
AES

Any news? What did you decide to do?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

I went to the dealership earlier this week because it's taking so long and they gave me a print out of the diagnosis. But they said they are still waiting on Kawasaki to tell them what to do. They have a warranty case opened with Kawasaki and gave me a log number for it. So I might call Kawasaki and ask them to see if they can speed up the process.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 10:48 AM
AES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Reyes View Post
I went to the dealership earlier this week because it's taking so long and they gave me a print out of the diagnosis. But they said they are still waiting on Kawasaki to tell them what to do. They have a warranty case opened with Kawasaki and gave me a log number for it. So I might call Kawasaki and ask them to see if they can speed up the process.
Any details on your end?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Yea, so they are covering the full repair. They finally got the parts list together last week and sent it over to Kawasaki corporate. They said it could take up to 2 weeks to get the parts, depending on if some parts are back ordered, then at least 2 full days of work to put together. I'm just happy that I am not having to pay for any of it. And I don't have the extended warranty, and my 1 year warranty runs out Sept 19.

I saw in the other thread that you are having to pay ~$800? But they are sending parts and rebuilding the engine?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page