Sometimes can not start the engine - 2017+ Kawasaki Z650 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Sometimes can not start the engine

Hi! Bought used Z650 2017 with mileage 36000. Sometimes expericence the problem that I can not start the engine after turning on the ignition. Behaves like battery is discharged (rapidly turning on-off starter motor, making 'clicking' sounds) though battery is fully charged (and actually was replaced to be on a safe side after couple of these cases). Pushing bike to 10-20 km/h helps to start the engine in the 2nd gear.

Did anyone experienced such behavoiur? Bike still on warranty but it happens so rare and they don't know what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 04:55 PM

Garage
i have this happen sometimes not sure what causes it
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalexei View Post
Hi! Bought used Z650 2017 with mileage 36000. Sometimes expericence the problem that I can not start the engine after turning on the ignition. Behaves like battery is discharged (rapidly turning on-off starter motor, making 'clicking' sounds) though battery is fully charged (and actually was replaced to be on a safe side after couple of these cases). Pushing bike to 10-20 km/h helps to start the engine in the 2nd gear.

Did anyone experienced such behavoiur? Bike still on warranty but it happens so rare and they don't know what to do.
I have a similar issue. Sometimes when pushing the starter nothing happens at all! The lights are all on but nobody is home! I suspect that it is something to do with the engine immobiliser, as turning it off and taking key out for a minute or two then trying again sometimes works. Also, if low of fuel (less than a quarter tank) and on a slight incline it seems to think that it is empty and wont start. Walking it a bit then trying again seems to help, but is really frustrating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 06:52 AM

Have had the same issue, in a 2017 model with 10.000km on it.
The problem was battery, replaced it and everything is fine now
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:15 PM

Garage
i have an answer to this now took my bike in for a service today and it would not start i have a new battery with a charge indicator on top so was not battery spoke to the dealer and he said there has been a few instances were this has happen and in my case there is a problem with the ignition and has booked in in for a warranty repair
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:58 PM

Garage
I have a similar issue now
bike turned off mid ride today and wouldn't start again
gear indicator was showing " - - " and was blinking
starter made sounds but it didn't start, no matter if I put it in neutral or first (gear indicator was still showing nothing)

a few hours later it started again but it wouldn't start when it was cold in neutral while on the side stand, makes only a clicking sound

well now I'm afraid it will turn off again mid ride, I'll try to get to the garage tomorrow

Last edited by pper; 03-11-2019 at 08:05 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page