68hp with strong mid-range punch... is that enough for you? - 2017+ Kawasaki Z650 Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 172
68hp with strong mid-range punch... is that enough for you?

Can't find any charts showing its powerband, but according to a reviewer the Z650 has strong mid-range punch which if you're like me using it mainly in the city, this goes a long way in your overall enjoyment. But with all of that mated to a 6-speed transmission, is it really enough for you?

P.S.
To help fuel this discussion here's a quick look at engine specifications:
  • Engine: 4-stroke, 2-cylinder, DOHC, liquid-cooled
  • Displacement: 649cc
  • Bore x Stroke: 83.0 x 60.0mm
  • Compression Ratio: 10.8:1
  • Fuel System:DFIŽ with Keihin 36mm Keihin throttle bodies
  • Ignition: TCBI with electronic advance
  • Transmission: 6-speed, return shift
  • Final Drive: Sealed chain
roadhawk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 11:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 84
The power delivery seems to be just about the right combo for an everyday, run-around, economical, fun bike. Just wish it wasn't so porky, could do with a diet. Also wouldn't mind a bit more power at lower rpms.
Cowasaki is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 02:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 231
I guess we don't have any information in regards to 68hp @ XXXXrpm ??
Stitch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 01:53 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 26
The Belgian Kawasaki website states :
68 hp @ 8.000 rpm
65,7 Nm @ 6.500 rpm
Patluys is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 172
thanks for posting that
from what i understand that's a good power to weight ratio doubt anyone will have an issue with it.
only thing now is to see a chart showing how power is distributed
roadhawk is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:57 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhawk View Post
Can't find any charts showing its powerband, but according to a reviewer the Z650 has strong mid-range punch which if you're like me using it mainly in the city, this goes a long way in your overall enjoyment. But with all of that mated to a 6-speed transmission, is it really enough for you?

P.S.
To help fuel this discussion here's a quick look at engine specifications:
  • Engine: 4-stroke, 2-cylinder, DOHC, liquid-cooled
  • Displacement: 649cc
  • Bore x Stroke: 83.0 x 60.0mm
  • Compression Ratio: 10.8:1
  • Fuel System:DFIŽ with Keihin 36mm Keihin throttle bodies
  • Ignition: TCBI with electronic advance
  • Transmission: 6-speed, return shift
  • Final Drive: Sealed chain
Oh yeah. This bike is FAST for its size. I got it because it has just about the exact same dimensions and geometry as an FZR400, but way more torque and horsepower. It hauls. Turns on a dime. VERY flat powerband and a nice punch on top. Getting Q3s installed this week as the stock tires are a little too touring oriented. This bike is worth the dough, very well-built.
Gawain is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawain View Post
Oh yeah. This bike is FAST for its size. I got it because it has just about the exact same dimensions and geometry as an FZR400, but way more torque and horsepower. It hauls. Turns on a dime. VERY flat powerband and a nice punch on top. Getting Q3s installed this week as the stock tires are a little too touring oriented. This bike is worth the dough, very well-built.
That's a glowing review for this bike. Any changes other than the tire that you feel need to be made ?
Stitch is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 04:59 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
That's a glowing review for this bike. Any changes other than the tire that you feel need to be made ?
So far so good. Also own 2017 SV650, very good bike, Z650 handles better as far as sharp, sporty handling. Brakes are much stronger initially too. Z650 is the sportier machine by a good margin. Lighter too. SV650 is better for longer rides, freeway, touring. Either bike is really good but I would go with Z650 for a more pure sportbike or track days for sure.
Gawain is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome