What to love or hate about the 2017+ Kawasaki Z650? - 2017+ Kawasaki Z650 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Thumbs up What to love or hate about the 2017+ Kawasaki Z650?

If you can share a few things about your ownership of the Kawasaki Z650, what would it be? The most liked or hated, share them with every one I am sure you won't be the only one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 12:32 PM

The main dislike I have with the z650 is the vibrations at certain rpm's, especially in the handlebars. Its not harley crazy but the buzz is enough to annoy me and make my hand uncomfortable. I'm going to install the "touring" Oxford heated grips this weekend in hopes that the extra rubber dampens the buzz some... if its not enough maybe I'll put grip puppies on them too.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 11:49 PM

Love The PowerBand, Coming From A Ninja 300 Its A Greeeaattt Upgrade. Linear Pull In Acceleration All Across The PowerBand. The Looks Are Very Aesthetically Attractive, Easy To Handle And All That Stuff. The Vibration Is There As Stated Before, But To Me It's Not A Big Deal I Can Handle It And Doesn't Bother Me. The Hardest Thing Thus Far I've Disliked And Put Up With Is Finding The Accessories Required To Remove The "Bunny Ear" Mirrors And Install Bar End Mirrors (This Was Due To The Factory Installed Bar End Sliders That Made It Difficult) Other Than That It's A Realll Great Bike. Love It.. I'm Almost Done Breaking It In Too.!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 02:06 AM

The main likes about the Z650 is the styling, colour combo, digital dash with all the necessary information, easy of ride and operation for a 1st bike and mid range punch.

The dislikes would be the handle bar being a bit narrow (not terrible since I've gotten used to it) . I wish there was a bit more top end power on the Z650. There isn't much power different between 80% throttle and full throttle in my opinion. Getting into neutral from 2nd gear isn't easy - I often go right back in 1st by accident. Also, the fuel economy isn't that great in my opinion. I've been averaging about 5.5L/100km. This is between spirited & city riding. I wish there was an outside temperature gauge but I'm just being picky at this price point. I wish there was an LED headlight bulb from the factory. Halogen is so 90s.

I have no complaints about the vibrations that everyone talks about.

Other than that, it's a good overall bike that met my expectations.

'17 Kawasaki Z650 ABS Stardust White
Long time car enthusiast, now a motorcycle enthusiast
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 06:16 AM

It's a great bike. Previously I've owned a Ninja 250 and a 300, and the Z650 is a massive upgrade. The midrange torque makes it super easy to ride around town. Handling is awesome. Styling looks great. I love the noise is makes.

The vibrations can be annoying but I can put up with them, that's the only downside I can think of.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited Edition View Post
The main likes about the Z650 is the styling, colour combo, digital dash with all the necessary information, easy of ride and operation for a 1st bike and mid range punch.

The dislikes would be the handle bar being a bit narrow (not terrible since I've gotten used to it) . I wish there was a bit more top end power on the Z650. There isn't much power different between 80% throttle and full throttle in my opinion. Getting into neutral from 2nd gear isn't easy - I often go right back in 1st by accident. Also, the fuel economy isn't that great in my opinion. I've been averaging about 5.5L/100km. This is between spirited & city riding. I wish there was an outside temperature gauge but I'm just being picky at this price point. I wish there was an LED headlight bulb from the factory. Halogen is so 90s.

I have no complaints about the vibrations that everyone talks about.

Other than that, it's a good overall bike that met my expectations.
I've found that under 10 mph it will slide from 2nd into neutral more consistently. Any faster it seems to jump into 1st no matter how lightly you shift down.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 01:30 PM

Why you want to go to neutral from 2nd? Normal riding you don't go to neutral from 2nd. Slowing down you go to 1st from 2nd gear. Then you stop in 1st gear with clutch in.

The gear is design so that when motorcycle is standing still, pulling the gear up will not let it pass to 2nd gear, it will only go to neutral. Then you switch off engine or go back to 1st if you are stopping at the traffic light.

To start your journey you go to 1st then when the bike is moving it will go to 2nd if you pull the gear smoothly up.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamsul Kamal View Post
Why you want to go to neutral from 2nd? Normal riding you don't go to neutral from 2nd. Slowing down you go to 1st from 2nd gear. Then you stop in 1st gear with clutch in.

The gear is design so that when motorcycle is standing still, pulling the gear up will not let it pass to 2nd gear, it will only go to neutral. Then you switch off engine or go back to 1st if you are stopping at the traffic light.

To start your journey you go to 1st then when the bike is moving it will go to 2nd if you pull the gear smoothly up.
I don't do it often. But if I'm approaching a red light I know it's going to be red for awhile I'll down shift to neutral from second just to sit at the light in neutral rather than coasting in first with the clutch in until I stop then shifting to neutral. Just eliminating a step and holding in the clutch less... I'm a newer rider, not sure if that's even a thing to do. Was replying to the other post.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 02:11 PM

It is easier to go to 1st then stop, then to neutral.

Never go from 2nd to neutral while the motorcycle is moving. In principle your motorcycle must be in gear when moving. Pull the clutch for coasting. It safer that way.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 05:32 PM
Me2

So far I haven't felt any vibration that concerns me. I like the seat much better than the seat on the Z900 I just got rid of. Highway manners are better too and it handles better on poorly paved roads than the Z900. Not as powerful as the 900 of course, but there's more than enough.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page