Kawasaki Z650 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked the coolant level this morning and it is on the low side! I have a bottle of coolant from my previous ride. It is “Type 2 ready to use 50/50 premixed”. Can I use this coolant on my 2020 Z650?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Personally - I avoid mixing different types of coolants.

If you live in a place where you dont see freezing temps, I'd just top up with distilled water for now and monitor to make sure there is no leak.

Later down the line, flush the system with distilled water and replace with new premixed coolant to avoid cross contamination.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally - I avoid mixing different types of coolants.

If you live in a place where you dont see freezing temps, I'd just top up with distilled water for now and monitor to make sure there is no leak.

Later down the line, flush the system with distilled water and replace with new premixed coolant to avoid cross contamination.
Thanks Powerman for your advice. Actually the bike is kept in the garage so even though temp outside goes below freezing, it won’t get below freezing in the garage. And I dont ride below 50°F. So I’ll just top it off with distilled water for now and flush it before 90°F temps come. Thanks again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The translucent coolant tank is the overflow reservoir. As long as its got some fluid in it, your radiator is still full. And diluting your coolant with a little bit of water shouldn't cause a problem on hot summer days, since water is actually better than a glycol mixture for cooling an engine (has a larger heat capacity). In the tropics (at least where I used to live in West Africa) people use straight water in their automobile radiators.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Z650
13 Posts
What @nedfromPA said. I had my coolant topped during service a few months ago and a week after I happened to notice that the level in the reservoir was below the halfway mark between L and H, which made me think there was a leak. Called up the Kawasaki service and they said it's normal for the levels to fluctuate. A few months later the level went back up near the H level.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What @nedfromPA said. I had my coolant topped during service a few months ago and a week after I happened to notice that the level in the reservoir was below the halfway mark between L and H, which made me think there was a leak. Called up the Kawasaki service and they said it's normal for the levels to fluctuate. A few months later the level went back up near the H level.
Levels will fluctuate due to expansion and contraction principle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts