Kawasaki Z650 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where the drain plug is?

I think I need to flush my coolant and replace it with fresh one. Yesterday, it was 94°F and the engine temperature showed 188 to 192 degrees while riding. When stopped on a stop light, the temperature goes up to 212 - 215 degrees! That’s above boiling point! Although I don’t hear the coolant boiling.

What is your engine temperature while riding?

Can someone please attach a picture pointing where the drain plug is? Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Antifreeze not only keeps your coolant from freezing, but raises the boiling point. Operating temps of up to 220 degrees F are typical, and this is still below the boiling point assuming your coolant is topped up and of the proper 50/50 water/antifreeze mix.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine does this too when sitting stopped in 90+ degree weather. Mines gone above 220 and that's when the fan kicks on and the temp shoots back down to around 210 or 212. Usually sits around 180-190 while riding.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Mine does this too when sitting stopped in 90+ degree weather. Mines gone above 220 and that's when the fan kicks on and the temp shoots back down to around 210 or 212. Usually sits around 180-190 while riding.
That’s the temperature range I get. Thanks for verifying this. I may not need to flush my coolant to put fresh one in. You see, a couple of months ago, I saw that the coolant in the reservoir was below the low. I still have coolant from my previous ride but I did not want to mix it in the Z650 so I added distilled water to bring the level to near the high level. So when I saw the temp go as high as 215, I thought I need new coolant...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts