Kawasaki Z650 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2020 Z650 now for a little over a year with close to 6000 miles. The bike has proven to be very reliable, economical and overall a real kick in the ass to ride. However, last weekend after a 200 mile round trip to Lake Isabella I arrived back home and I noticed the fan had kicked on. Why is the fan running it's January? Glanced at the display it was showing 219 degree temp and then I noticed steam rising up from the front of the bike. WTF...quickly I recognized the sweet smell of anti-freeze. When I checked it out I found a small weeping leak coming from the bottom center of the radiator. Now here is my dilemma. An OEM radiator is 650-750 bucks. There goes my new exhaust! Alternatives yes, Ebay has so called new radiators for $100. I am sure this is a you get what you pay for scenarios.. Spoke to a local radiator repair shop and they do aluminum repair on radiators and oil coolers. Not sure which way to go. Do a lot of rides more than 100 miles so making this NOT an ongoing issue is important to me. Any input from others who have had similar issues will be appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it the same radiator as the 2017-2019 model? Pics.
Don't think so the 2020 radiator part number is 39061-0790 and the 2019 is 39061-0724 I think. For all I know maybe the only difference is the radiator cap. My cap is stamped 1.1. Good news is that I found a local radiator shop that specializes in radiators, oil coolers, heat exchangers and etc. Dropped it off yesterday and they called today to tell me it was repaired and the charges were $60. The dealer where I bought the bike quoted me $665 for a new one. Have a long trip planned for April 1st so I have plenty of time to put it to make sure the repair holds up. The picture below is before the repair. I will post the after picture tomorrow. Blue Grille Textile Rectangle Font

Blue Grille Textile Rectangle Font
Blue Grille Textile Rectangle Font

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did they tell you what may have caused the leak?
Sorry all for not replying sooner. But here is the latest. After talking to Eric at Visalia Radiator Service I was told that the leak was actually on the fan side of the radiator. Makes sense because because one of first things I bought was a radiator guard. I think what happened was that a small rock from the pot hole patches we ran across some how got into the fan shroud. When I got home after a 200 mile day ride I parked the bike and left it running so I could open gate and pull it around to my patio. After parking the bike on the patio I heard the fan kick on. It was just seconds later when I noticed the steam rising up from around the tank. The fan on this bike only comes on when the temperature reaches 219 degrees and goes off at 210 degrees. Since putting the repaired radiator back in I have ridden the bike about 200 miles with no issues. Have a ride coming here soon to Monterey, CA and feel confident that the work done by VRS will get me there and back. LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!
Wood Beige Paint Art Tree
Grille Automotive tire Black Automotive lighting Window
Wood Beige Paint Art Tree

Grille Automotive tire Black Automotive lighting Window

1 - 9 of 9 Posts