Kawasaki Z650 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. The tech at the dealership who did the walkthrough of my brand new 2020 Z650 said that I should fill her up with 91 Octane gas. But when I got home, the manual recommends 87 Octane. What are you filling up your Z650?

·
Registered
Z650 MY2020
2 Posts
The higher, the better - always.
But! If your Car\Bike\Whatever needs min. 95 never use less octane if you want to have fun for many years.
Its like electronic devices like DVD and BRDisc, BR devices are able to play DVD, but DVD devices will never support BRDisc. U know what i mean!? :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Use what the manual recommends. 91 won't hurt your engine, but it won't
help it either, and it likely will get lower fuel mileage. Higher octane has no more energy than lower octane gas; it is just formulated to burn later in the ignition cycle to accommodate higher-compression engines. And don't be confused by the fact that US and Euro octane ratings are calculated by different methods. What's 91 in Europe is actually our 87.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Actually, I'm in the US and the 91 that the tech said is US 91 Octane. I don't even know if the gas that the dealer put in my brand new bike was really 91! I'll stick with what the manual recommends. Although the manual did not have a warning comment on the use of higher Octane gas. It just said "87 or more".

·
Registered
37 Posts
As already noted -- higher octane won't hurt your bike. But 87 octane is the fuel it was designed to burn most efficiently, producing the best power and fuel mileage. Buying higher-octane gas is wasting your money, in other words.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I alternate 87 & 89.

Anything higher is just wasted $. You're better off doing 87 and adding in stabilizers

·
Registered
13 Posts
What does stabilizer do on regular commute? I thought they are only used when storing your bike for a long time!
I pour in a little seafoam every couple fill ups. Any stabilizers is fine tho when you're using the bike. Check out fort9 YouTube for info. You learn a lot from him

1 - 8 of 8 Posts