Kawasaki Z650 banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I finally got my Corbin seat!.. def it's worth the upgrade from stock seats...it's a little taller like maybe and inch or inch and a half which i prefer...one thing than stands out is that when cornering your butt stays in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got the taller OEM seat and installed it this morning. I got the seat because I'm 6 feet tall and felt really cramped after 50 miles or so of riding. It "feels" taller, but I still was cramped. At least for my build the issue isn't from hip to knee it's definitely from knee to feet that is cramped up. So after about 100 miles today, I came home and installed the lowering footpegs from Motowerk and those made all the difference in the world. Completely changed the bike. Could the higher seat be helping? maybe, but if I never put my feet on the pavement and switched the stock and taller seat back and forth. I'd have a hard time telling them apart. I only felt a difference when at a stop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a question for those who have the Corbin seat. How does it install? The stock seats have a slot on either end so I’m just curious about how that works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
DIY-Seat-mod

I'm from Bombay, India and own a 2017 Z650. I use the bike for city commuting (approx 60kms a day), highway rides over the weekends and intend to do a bit of touring as well. I ride with my wife as pillion - so the need for better pillion comfort was always on my mind. Getting the corbin seat shipped all the way here is an expensive affair. But there are a lot of aftermarket seat makers here who'd 'make' you what you're looking for.

- What I figured was that both the seats are quite flat (Without much cushioning) and that after a point makes your bottom sore (Especially when you're stuck in traffic and couple that with the quality of roads that we have here)
- The pillion seat is more of a triangular shape and lacks width - thereby compromising the comfort.

The practical solution was to raise both the seats by an inch using the existing seat as the base and increasing the width by adding 1inch to both left and right sides of the pillion seat - so that it doesn't rely solely on the fibre panels for support. So off I went to a seat/cushion-maker in the neighbourhood and discussed with him what I had in mind.

I've attached before after pics for comparison. The foam was added atop the existing stock foam - so it locks into place just as stock. The cover was soft leather + resin material - that is water-resistant (for monsoon season) and doesn't get hard/brittle/crack under intense heat. The final seats (that you see in the pics) are sized at 1.5 inch height + existing seat (width remains at 1inch on either sides). The reason for the 0.5in addition was that the foam takes some time and riding to settle down and hence its a buffer that we decided to go with. It should ideally settle at 1.3inch+existing seat height. Also the 'puffiness' will be normalised over time.

Have travelled a further 100 kms post this mod and I'd like to say it is quite effective! Total cost 15 USD :smile2:

PS: The foam used was 50-50 soft hard compound that would naturally become softer over time. In the pics, the foams aren't cut to size. They were used to check if the mould was a proper fix or not.

PPS: I've also changed the handlebar to the Versys X300. But will post that in the appropriate thread!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's what I was initially thinking too, but I don't see the logo on the side and the shape is a bit different than the seat that they offer on their site.
In all probability, it's an artist rendition of the bike in a 'scrambler' look (notice the small wind-deflector over the headlight ; seems to be attached by a single screw or so!). This is a very popular post in Pinterest. If you look closely, the seat angle of the rise (from the rider towards the pillion region) is a bit too smooth and seamless. The Corbin has the greatest amount of padding in that area (the 'padded cushion' acts as a lower-back rest). I tried getting close to this reference but the final result won't be this impressive.

Cheers!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was worried that this was just a Photoshop. Haha, I was hoping to track down a seat like it, but felt it was too good to be true. Thanks for your insights!

Cheers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Installed. Sorry if the clutter in the background makes the pic look like crap. But its 15f outside and just taking the cover off and putting the seat on was enough time in the garage for me.

Attachments

21 - 37 of 37 Posts