Kawasaki Z650 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Bought a new 2018 z650 in matt black about 2 months ago. Still only have 450kms on the clock (I'm from New Zealand hence kms), and slowly breaking it in. It's a beautiful bike that I bought mainly to have a quick, narrow, fun commute to work. Really pleased with the purchase so far. The others bikes I seriously tried were the Triumph Street Triple and Duke 390. The Duke was great and lots of fun, very light, but felt a bit cheap when... the next bike I got on was the z650 which felt so much smoother and better made. The Triumph felt well made, quality and stable - like it's built for high speeds - but top heavy handling. I had thought my dream bike was the Speed Triple but the z650 did everything the Triple did but better, more sorted and flickable. That's my opinion - I'm sure people will disagree.

The throttles a little loose and the front brakes are catchy at slow speeds, but even in the break-in period it has a really lovely torque spread that if you catch just right is pure pleasure. My mechanic says to ignore the break-in period. I guess I do a bit of both.

It's the first bike I've had from new. I've had a couple of Kawasaki's and I'm now seriously tempted by the 900 or 1000 version. I may upgrade eventually and give this to the wife.

Did I mention it looks amazing?

Thanks
NZ z650

·
Registered
58 Posts
Congrats on the bike and welcome to the community. Surprised that you tried the Duke 390 over the brand new 790. Something to consider if you ever plan on stepping up to something more powerful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts