Kawasaki Z650 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - so I know this has been discussed in the past, but I am looking for some advice. I took my 2018 z650 to a mechanic to install the MZS Amazon mirrors (that was my first mistake - they are not great quality), and the mechanic wound up taking the entire bar weight and bar ends off, only using the cheap adapter that was provided to instal the mirrors. The OEM bar end is still attached to the weight and I still have these. Yesterday, my mirror flew off on the highway, and I am noticing quite a bit of vibration after the weights were removed.

Now, I am looking to reinstall the weights, bar ends, and to install a new set of better mirrors. My question is - is it possible to still use the OEM weights if a Kawasaki dealership is able to get the bar end off? Unfortunately, I have no access at all to an impact driver or any tools for that matter - I live in NYC, so the dealership is my best bet. Or, will I need to buy new weights, and an aftermarket set of bar ends? I've found some heavier options to help with vibration dampening that is appealing, so I'm less concerned with using the OEM bar ends, it's more so the weights that I want back in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
. I bought my bike used and the bar end weights were completely missing so I purchased a set of bar end weights through revzilla and they actually came with the correct Allen wrench. They were extremely easy to install btw

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks @Bogard . Did you replace the weight inside the handlebar, or only the bar end? If so, do you mind sending the link of the weights you bought from Revzilla?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is the link for the oem weights through revzilla . You should be able to find the ends through there as well. I just replaced the ends and they were bikemaster, I wanted to add a little color to my bike .

·
Registered
Kawasaki Z650 - 2017
7 Posts
I replaced one of the bar weights when I changed the bar ends. You can order them on Revzilla or via your Kawasaki dealership. I couldn't get one of my bar weights loose because it was completely filled up with red Loctite. Removing them takes a little effort (pulling and twisting), putting them back in is easy. I would recommend screwing on the bar end or bar end mirror first, just to make sure you don't push the weight in too far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, thank you both! Both of the weights are already out of the bars, and I have Rhino Moto bar ends/mirror adapters on the way. I will buy the replacement weights and it seems like I should be good to go. @Bogard @Snadraah86 - did you also have to buy the bolts/hardware to install the weights, or did it come with this? I see a few other pieces like the damper and clamp on the OEM Handlebar part diagram from Revzilla.

·
Registered
Kawasaki Z650 - 2017
7 Posts
The bolts weren't necessary, they came with my new bar ends. I recon your bar end mirrors have bolts as well?
What I ordered:
  • weight (13042) 13042-0752
  • damper (92161B) 92161-1930
  • damper (92161A) 92161-1850
You'll need to order everything twice ;)

On the diagram it also shows a clamp, I didn't need to reinstall these since they wouldn't fit with my bar ends. I don't know how that works with your mirrors.
(Parts diagram, it's from a Dutch site but the article numbers should match: HANDLEBAR voor Kawasaki Z650 ABS 2017 # KAWASAKI - Genuine Spare Parts Catalog Online )

·
Registered
Kawasaki Z650 - 2017
7 Posts
Oh, by the way, I see you have trouble removing the original bar ends from your weights. I also didn't have an impact driver but I managed to unscrew one of them (I messed up the other one trying too hard and messing up the bolt before applying heat).
You'll need to apply A LOT of heat to the bolt. Fix it with a vise so you don't burn yourself. I used a heat gun to light the BBQ :') Worked like a charm! Heat it up untill smoke comes off and then try unscrewing the bar end, it should be possible with just an allen wrench.

If that's too much of an effort or you're missing the proper tools, just order the spare parts.

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi - so I know this has been discussed in the past, but I am looking for some advice. I took my 2018 z650 to a mechanic to install the MZS Amazon mirrors (that was my first mistake - they are not great quality), and the mechanic wound up taking the entire bar weight and bar ends off, only using the cheap adapter that was provided to instal the mirrors. The OEM bar end is still attached to the weight and I still have these. Yesterday, my mirror flew off on the highway, and I am noticing quite a bit of vibration after the weights were removed.

Now, I am looking to reinstall the weights, bar ends, and to install a new set of better mirrors. My question is - is it possible to still use the OEM weights if a Kawasaki dealership is able to get the bar end off? Unfortunately, I have no access at all to an impact driver or any tools for that matter - I live in NYC, so the dealership is my best bet. Or, will I need to buy new weights, and an aftermarket set of bar ends? I've found some heavier options to help with vibration dampening that is appealing, so I'm less concerned with using the OEM bar ends, it's more so the weights that I want back in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!
you can re-use the bar ends. heat them up to take them off. there is a video of Tremont doing just that here in this group somewhere

·
Registered
6 Posts
Awesome, thank you both! Both of the weights are already out of the bars, and I have Rhino Moto bar ends/mirror adapters on the way. I will buy the replacement weights and it seems like I should be good to go. @Bogard @Snadraah86 - did you also have to buy the bolts/hardware to install the weights, or did it come with this? I see a few other pieces like the damper and clamp on the OEM Handlebar part diagram from Revzilla.
Everything came with the kit!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts