Kawasaki Z650 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im debating buying a 2017 z650 with ~10k miles on it from a dealership (dont know previous owner, but looks immaculate online)

its only $5K Vs whatever the dealership charges for the new ones + fees etc.

Ive never owned a street bike before. Ive ridden plenty of dirtbikes as a child and teenager, but my dear old father took care of them all for me. its been 10 years since then.

My question is, how reliable are secondhand bikes? was the previous owner a hooligan? am I going to become a hooligan too? How much maintenance fees are hiding around the corner for me? I downloaded the owners manual, so I have a general idea of the routine. Im just worried about random parts or wires being faulty and leading to me being stranded somewhere with a bike that wont start. Hopefully theres cell service, but I plan on riding in the mountains/ hills a lot during the summer months when its too hot to day ride in the valley.

Please, any and all help is appreciated. I just hope I dont get cat-fished like that time I bought a massage chair at the county fair on credit. (I may have been intoxicated).

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was in your situation last summer, I chose to buy the new bike vs the used one. I'm sure the older one would have been fine, but didn't want to risk it and liked having a warranty. Maintenance is a breeze, change the oil every few thousand miles and keep the chain lubed. Plus imo the 2020 + bikes look a lot better then the older ones.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
idk, i like the modern retro tachometer of the pre 2020 models. the newer ones look like they have a smartphone display. im sick of screens. i wanna see that needle bounce off the redline, if i manage to find a moment to glance down into the periphery.

·
Registered
21 Posts
idk, i like the modern retro tachometer of the pre 2020 models. the newer ones look like they have a smartphone display. im sick of screens. i wanna see that needle bounce off the redline, if i manage to find a moment to glance down into the periphery.
I think that as long as the bike has had some basic maintenance then the used bike will be fine. These bikes are well built and reliable and don't have any standout weak points. Yes you will find the odd issue raised in forums etc, but as a general rule the build quality is excellent. I've had a 2011 Ninja and 2015 Ninja previously (essentially the same bike except for fairings) all bought as used bikes and never had one single issue or failure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Find a mechanic you trust and have it looked at before buying. Also, test ride and never rush into a decision. I bought new last year because it was my first bike and I didn’t want to risk the problems. It seemed like a valid point, but now I wish I bought used. Broken or not, I’m usually tinkering with my bike one way or another. Might as well save the dealer fees and markup

Also, this vid is helpful:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts