Kawasaki Z650 banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1992 ZX-7 2017 z650 2017 RC390
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I love'em! It is a big change, though. I guess it depends on want you want to to do with your bike. I usually use the 650 for rides that are less than a few hours and try to find roads I can have fun on.

If you want to do road trips, or just cruise for a long time, clip-ons aren't a good idea.

Also not sure if there would be clearance issues with the stock bodywork.

I did have a pair of Renthal low bars on before this, which bolt right into the stock handlebar risers.

The clip-ons required a custom speedo mount. The Renthals are a good option if you just want to go a little lower. If you wanted to go a lot lower without the custom hacking involved with clip-ons, clubman bars would be an option, but again, may have clearance issues with the bodywork.

One other crazy option is to mount something like the Renthal low bars upside down. They'll be low, but not as low as clubmans.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I love'em! It is a big change, though. I guess it depends on want you want to to do with your bike. I usually use the 650 for rides that are less than a few hours and try to find roads I can have fun on.

If you want to do road trips, or just cruise for a long time, clip-ons aren't a good idea.

Also not sure if there would be clearance issues with the stock bodywork.

I did have a pair of Renthal low bars on before this, which bolt right into the stock handlebar risers.

The clip-ons required a custom speedo mount. The Renthals are a good option if you just want to go a little lower. If you wanted to go a lot lower without the custom hacking involved with clip-ons, clubman bars would be an option, but again, may have clearance issues with the bodywork.

One other crazy option is to mount something like the Renthal low bars upside down. They'll be low, but not as low as clubmans.
How about mounting on the wheel nuts? Too radical?

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Z650
15 Posts
Where did you get that front fairing? I have wanted a beefier front end but haven't been able to find anything. I'm assuming that fairing comes with the round hole for the round headlight, correct?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where did you get that front fairing? I have wanted a beefier front end but haven't been able to find anything. I'm assuming that fairing comes with the round hole for the round headlight, correct?
Yeah, it's made for 7" round headlights. It actually mounts to the headlight brackets. It's an Emgo viper fairing, you'll find them everywhere (ebay, amazon, etc.)

It's a little flimsy but does alright. I put a strip of 1/8" aluminum on the inside to help support it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The side fairings are stock with more plastic "welded" on (melted and epoxied), then sanded and painted with truck-bed liner, which mimics the original texture pretty well. The gauge mount is custom. Just some 1/4" plastic and a couple bolts IIRC.

I can take pictures with more detail if you want when it gets warmer. I'm in Michigan so it's gonna be another month or so :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
The side fairings are stock with more plastic "welded" on (melted and epoxied), then sanded and painted with truck-bed liner, which mimics the original texture pretty well. The gauge mount is custom. Just some 1/4" plastic and a couple bolts IIRC.

I can take pictures with more detail if you want when it gets warmer. I'm in Michigan so it's gonna be another month or so :(
Yeah, that would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found some photos on my phone 👍

Cut a piece of a plastic tub to fill in the blank area:
Brown Wood Waist Thigh Paint

Welded/melted it and added some epoxy:
Automotive tire Bumper Fender Gas Automotive exterior

Then it was just sand, truck bed liner, sand, truck bed, liner, etc. I probably used some plastic epoxy or something for filler.

I've only done the right side so far.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a good question! I tried moving it around a bit, but I want to make sure I can get to it if one pops on a ride, and couldn't find a good spot. I just started tinkering with the body end of last summer, so I still have a lot to figure out :)

·
Registered
4 Posts

That's a good question! I tried moving it around a bit, but I want to make sure I can get to it if one pops on a ride, and couldn't find a good spot. I just started tinkering with the body end of last summer, so I still have a lot to figure out :)
For sure, let me know if you think of a solution to that. I'm waiting for the spare side fairings I ordered to come in the mail so I can attempt to do what you did.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Z650
15 Posts
I have wanted to go with clip-on route for a while, but until now have settled with clubman. I have tried two different sizes and went with the shorter ones. I do like it but would also like to go the clip-on route. I may have some questions for you in the near future .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, Paul! I looked it up and see what you're talking about (cracking engine mounts). Yikes! I'll be taking them off when it warms up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts