Kawasaki Z650 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm in Australia and the hotter weather is starting to kick in, in the last couple of rides I have noticed that when going at low speeds, around 20kph the temp gauge goes up to 5/6 bars and the fan doesn't come on. I have checked the coolant levels and the fuse, i replaced the fuse anyway, the fuse is getting power, but the fan has no power. Does the fan kick on at Max on the temp gauge, I don't want to overheat the engine to find out. The fan does work when I add 12v to it but I'm not sure where to look to fix this problem. I can always wire in a switch but I prefer to fix the real issue. Cheers

·
Registered
108 Posts
You will find that the fan rarely comes on, and when it does it will be, say, after an extended high-speed highway run, when you get stopped in traffic, on a hot day. The temp guage is not actually the device that warns of engine overheating -- there's a separate, prominent red light that pops on in that event.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, is there any way to get the fan to come on? Like to trick it and make sure it does work haha. And I would also say that it's tuned into the ecu when to come on? But I'm surprised how hot it gets before it will come on

·
Registered
41 Posts
Okay, is there any way to get the fan to come on? Like to trick it and make sure it does work haha. And I would also say that it's tuned into the ecu when to come on? But I'm surprised how hot it gets before it will come on
Your issue is raised frequently on forums and groups. I believe that the calibration of the the temp gauge is a bit off as it reads high, as I've never read of anybody having engine damage from overheating. I think you just have to trust that the system is working fine and disregard the gauge.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Okay will do! Does it have a auto shut down if they get too hot?
Not as far as I know. I guess the easiest thing to do is just run it at idle while on the side stand and eventually the fan should kick in. It may take 5 minutes or so, as the thermostat has to open first and let the entire cooling system get hot. I'm assuming the ambient temperature would be 20 degrees or more. If the fan refuses to kick in and you can see the exhaust changing colour, then you may in act have a problem, but I'll put money on it that it's all fine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I rode my Z650 for over a year before I noticed the fan kick in. It was after a 125 mile sprint up an Interstate at 80 MPH on a 100 degree F day. As I arrived home and got off the bike to open my bike shed door I heard a muted click and a vague whirring nose -- what is THAT??? -- that turned out to be the fan. Even then, with the engine heat-soaked to the max, it ran only briefly before shutting down. You can pretty much ignore the guage unless the red warning light comes on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey guys, I'm in Australia and the hotter weather is starting to kick in, in the last couple of rides I have noticed that when going at low speeds, around 20kph the temp gauge goes up to 5/6 bars and the fan doesn't come on. I have checked the coolant levels and the fuse, i replaced the fuse anyway, the fuse is getting power, but the fan has no power. Does the fan kick on at Max on the temp gauge, I don't want to overheat the engine to find out. The fan does work when I add 12v to it but I'm not sure where to look to fix this problem. I can always wire in a switch but I prefer to fix the real issue. Cheers
This is the norm for me in Florida during any temps above 85ish outside. At a stop light I’m almost guaranteed to have the fan kick on. Over 8,000 miles, no issues.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It`s fine they are all the same. They always show high.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It`s fine its how they all behave.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.