Kawasaki Z650 banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I've got a 19' Z650 ABS model and I kinda regret getting the ABS model since I like to play around with wheelies, rolling burnouts etc. Some of my friends are stunt riders and have their bikes all rigged up for that. I'm not too serious about that stuff but they said doing anything in the stunt realm shouldn't be done with ABS.

I located the ABS fusebox and there were two ABS fuses. ABSMOT and ABSVAL. I pulled both out and that in fact disabled the ABS, but with a caveat. After I did that, my check engine light came on, my speedometer stopped working, and my odometer stopped working. Plugged the fuses back in and things went back to normal but it took some time for the engine light to go away. Not sure if one of those fuses is for the speedo/odometer but I can't find any other way to disable it without having those issues. I've read you can get disable it by letting the rear tire spin in place to confuse it and it will temporarily shut off but I don't want to have to do that every time. Looking for a fix that'll disable it fully.

Anyone that's got some insight on this would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looks like our Z's arent the simple unplug and play ABS's as in the past. See pic. Both signals go to the Hydraulic Unit which is also tied in to your wheel sensors. The fuses are allowing power to go into that unit then through the ABS diagnostic module and finally poops out information to the ECU. No power = no sensors. So ABS is off but so is everything else related to sensing your wheels spinning and at what rate. You could use this diagram to map out an in line switch to hit when you just want abs to turn off, if I was that dedicated to stunting that is what I would do, but I can't recommended messing with the wiring as it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
View attachment 5348 Looks like our Z's arent the simple unplug and play ABS's as in the past. See pic. Both signals go to the Hydraulic Unit which is also tied in to your wheel sensors. The fuses are allowing power to go into that unit then through the ABS diagnostic module and finally poops out information to the ECU. No power = no sensors. So ABS is off but so is everything else related to sensing your wheels spinning and at what rate. You could use this diagram to map out an in line switch to hit when you just want abs to turn off, if I was that dedicated to stunting that is what I would do, but I can't recommended messing with the wiring as it is.
I got a headache just looking at all of that 😅 I appreciate the detailed response, I wouldn't have known that hadn't you sent the diagram. I'm going to leave all of that alone and just temporarily disable by getting the rear tire to spin in place when I need to. Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The ABS will only prevent you from locking the wheels when you brake. It's not traction control, so it wont stop you from doing a wheelie or a burnout. However I realize that stunting obviously does involve skidding with wheels locked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts