Kawasaki Z650 banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
z650 2017 (abs). Sometimes it doesn't start with kikstand down in neutral. It still makes sound like "tak tak tak" , trying to start.
With kikstand up, it starts without problem. Also this problem is like 1 out of 5 times .

And one more question about smell, is it normal to smell something like a little bit of heated oil from the front part of bike after ride?
Smell is't strong at all, but wondering if it should be anyway or should I check something. Bought bike with 19k km mileage awhile ago.

· Registered
7 Posts
Regarding the start issue: I had a similar problem where the bike will not start in neutral, but started fine in first - turned out to be a weak battery. My theory is that the ECU adjusts the cranking ampere to be higher in first to overcome any parasite drag from the engine caused by the wet clutch when in gear. So, checking the battery voltage might be a good starting point.
BUT if yours starts with the kickstand up, there could be an issue with the gear position sensor. Maybe a loose connector since it sounds like an 'uncommon' issue.

· Registered
35 Posts
And one more question about smell, is it normal to smell something like a little bit of heated oil from the front part of bike after ride?
Smell is't strong at all, but wondering if it should be anyway or should I check something. Bought bike with 19k km mileage awhile ago.
After every ride, I smell some heated oil as well. When I first got the bike (end of last season) it only had 2300kms so I'm pretty sure there motor is not beat up. So I'm thinking it's probably the splash when I lube the chain or the engine burns a little bit.
I started wiping down the chain after lubing it, but I only started doing that at the end of the season.

· Registered
6 Posts
After every ride, I smell some heated oil as well. When I first got the bike (end of last season) it only had 2300kms so I'm pretty sure there motor is not beat up. So I'm thinking it's probably the splash when I lube the chain or the engine burns a little bit.
I started wiping down the chain after lubing it, but I only started doing that at the end of the season.
It is probably an overlubed chain. It collects on the front sprocket and drops onto the exhaust. If you look closely you might find little lumps of gooey black tar collecting in places. Its the lube. CLean it all off and redo the chain but put less on, you will be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts