Kawasaki Z650 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Has anyone fitted an oil cooler to a Z650?
The hot water temp reached when in traffic is up around 100-105 degrees.C. I'm wondering what the oil temp must be.
Any comments??
Ride safe.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I haven't seen one available or installed. Normal operating temp for us is between 68 and 110. Our fans will hold it down to 107 when kicked on. Where I live it never breaks 107 sitting in traffic with 38+ air temp. Oil breakdown starts at 135c. I say all of that to say I'm not sure its worth the investment or risk to install one on what is universally considered one of the most reliable engines available on the market today.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, I'm in the Philippines 35deg C everyday, I just don't want the oil to breakdown and fail to do its job......lubricate & COOL the engine. Well, I'm going to wrap the exhaust and see if it makes any difference to the cooling.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for your reply, I'm in the Philippines 35deg C everyday, I just don't want the oil to breakdown and fail to do its job......lubricate & COOL the engine. Well, I'm going to wrap the exhaust and see if it makes any difference to the cooling.
Thanks again.
I don't quite follow your idea. Surely wrapping the exhaust will retain heat when you need to dissipate the heat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't quite follow your idea. Surely wrapping the exhaust will retain heat when you need to dissipate the heat.
Yeh, but that massive muffler is directly below the engine and if stood in traffic it's a very big heat source without being able to escape.
I take your point about the wrapping, maybe I'm just being over cautious.
Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeh, but that massive muffler is directly below the engine and if stood in traffic it's a very big heat source without being able to escape.
I take your point about the wrapping, maybe I'm just being over cautious.
Thanks.
Yes I agree the heat rising from the muffler may contribute to the problem as the engine is directly above. However as MigMoto said, these engines have been in the same configuration for many years without issue. It is very common to see comments on forums and Facebook groups from new Z650 owners who are concerned with the high temps showing on the dash. However I think that running hot is just normal for these engines as I never read of engine failures as a result of over heating.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey Guys,
Has anyone fitted an oil cooler to a Z650?
The hot water temp reached when in traffic is up around 100-105 degrees.C. I'm wondering what the oil temp must be.
Any comments??
Ride safe.
IMHO your wasting your time. these like other motor and motorcycles are designed for most if not all climates. Does anyone else in your area suffer any problems ? talk to a few repairers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IMHO your wasting your time. these like other motor and motorcycles are designed for most if not all climates. Does anyone else in your area suffer any problems ? talk to a few repairers.
Oil coolers sell well here in the Philippines. Especially for smaller bikes, it was just a concern I had,
I will check the oil temp when the engine is up around 104 Deg C.
Thanks anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.