Kawasaki Z650 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had the z650 for over a year now and I love it, but on a few occasions I've had the rear wheel slip out, sometimes when I downshift into a lower gear and the RPMs pick up, other times on hard braking. The most recent was a very sketchy situation that keeps replaying in my head. I never ride when it rains, and on this day it did not rain, but the air was moist and foggy, so roads were not wet, but did look 'darker' than usual. I was riding on a road near me, which I've passed every time I go out, it has a 90 degree turn that was recently repaved about 4 months ago. I came into the turn at 30 mph and the moment I applied both front and rear brakes gradually, the rear wheel fully locked up so I quickly straightened out the bike and came to a stop about 2 feet from the turn railing. All I heard was the high pitch of the rear wheel screeching and in panic I dropped my feet to the ground and slid on my boots while applying front brake until I fully stopped. It was a scary moment and the one thing that keeps bothernig me is why the ABS did not seem to work as it should. I've owned a 2009 CBR600RR with ABS and I would sometimes feel the rear ABS kick in on that bike, but it seems on the z650 it never does for me (yes I'm sure my bike is the ABS version, it says ABS on the front fork covers). I watched many reviews of the bike and saw one that mentioned the same issue, that the ABS on front kicks in very early and the one in rear doesn't seem to kick in when it should. Is this something that is an issue on these bikes? is there a fix via a computer tune?

many thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Weird...I can't say I've ever had this happen to me - besides thought that was what the slipper-assist clutch was what help mitigate this..?
Maybe you drive a lot harder than I do.

Is your brake fluid level ok for your rear brake?
What is the point of engagement when you kickdown to engage the reat brake?
It usually takes me a little more effort than I feel is needed to fully engage a proper bite.

49 Posts
Mine always engages fine, although it slips a bit on turns (which I think is normal, ABS is designed to work when moving straight, not when “drifting” to the side).
Before having it checked, go out for a test ride and force some repeated rear brake actuations.
Maybe you can find out something not working properly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Weird...I can't say I've ever had this happen to me - besides thought that was what the slipper-assist clutch was what help mitigate this..?
Maybe you drive a lot harder than I do.

Is your brake fluid level ok for your rear brake?
What is the point of engagement when you kickdown to engage the reat brake?
It usually takes me a little more effort than I feel is needed to fully engage a proper bite.
Brake fluid level appears ok yes. The bite point is great on my rear brake and the bike slows very well with the rear brake for me. It is comparable to my old 600rr and much better than my old Sportster was. I don't think the slipper-assist would kick in on this situation, right before braking I straightened out the bike and pulled in the clutch so there was no clutch engagement, just brakes.

Mine always engages fine, although it slips a bit on turns (which I think is normal, ABS is designed to work when moving straight, not when “drifting” to the side).
Before having it checked, go out for a test ride and force some repeated rear brake actuations.
Maybe you can find out something not working properly.
I was definitely moving straight, else I would have ended up lowsiding for sure -- sadly I wont get to test it out more this year since I already winterized the bike, but this experience really made me feel uneasy and 'distrusting' of the bike.

thx much for the replies and advice!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts