Kawasaki Z650 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am looking to change the gearing/sprockets on my 2020 Z650 (I assume they are the same thing?). I want to increase my top speed but keep (or improve?) acceleration. Is this possible? I have never dealt with this sort of thing before so any tips are appreciated. What do you guys recommend to achieve this?

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
1992 ZX-7 2017 z650 2017 RC390
60 Posts
No, it's one or the other. More top speed = less acceleration, more acceleration = less top speed.

Also, if you change the sprocket size ratio too much the ECU throws an error code. I went down one tooth on the front and had to revert back to stock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it's one or the other. More top speed = less acceleration, more acceleration = less top speed.

Also, if you change the sprocket size ratio too much the ECU throws an error code. I went down one tooth on the front and had to revert back to stock.
How come? One of the most common changes I have found is -1 front and +2 rear

·
Registered
1992 ZX-7 2017 z650 2017 RC390
60 Posts
How come? One of the most common changes I have found is -1 front and +2 rear
-1 front + 2 rear is for supersports/superbikes geared high from the factory. They're geared for top speed.

Your bike is already geared for street.

You can change the gearing if you want to get an ECU flash or a piggyback ECU. It's really not worth it on this bike though, it's already geared low, you'll be shifting gears all the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.