Kawasaki Z650 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Just thought I'd say hello. I'm up in Ottawa, Ontario (canada).
Always wanted a bike, since my early 20s, and I kept putting it off. Finally, at 48, I said f*** it, I aint getting any younger so I went and got my license and a bike.
It's a 2018 with only 3500km (2100 miles), with the kawi green frame (love the looks).
I'm 6'3" 235 lbs so I picked up the taller seat and the peg lowering kit (I read on some forums, may even be here, that the Versys ones were a perfect fit, and indeed they are).
Feels much better. I just have to figure out the suspension on this thing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hope you're enjoying the bike there bud

If you're a new rider I would recommend getting some frame sliders. Could prevent some costly damage if you happen to tip it over, which seems like many people will do a couple of times
Yes sir, already done. I picked up (to my regret) the vortex frame sliders and installed them. I do not recommend them; the lock nuts they come with are flanged and dont fit (I had to get some form homedepot), plus the spacer they provide for the right side sticks out past the frame tube. And they have adapter, which I dont understand (but still used). Anywho, they're on!

Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh really you had to do all that? That's unfortunate but worth the hassle for sure.

I think the spacer might be intended for the ninja 650 as they tend to sell the same kit for both bikes.

Hope you get your bike on some decent rides before the cold hits Ontario too hard. Some heated gloves might be worth having.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, and get this, the bolt they provide in the kit for the right side isn't even long enough if you use their spacer, the lock nut only gabs one thread, maybe two... there was no way I was going to use it as is. So I nuked the spacer and filled up the gap with a bunch of washers. I was lucky to have a bunch of washers of the right size.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm very reluctant to get frame sliders for this bike. I've read too many incidents (including in this forum if you do a search) of frame sliders breaking the cast engine mounts when a fall happens. Not a desirable outcome. So I have chosen not to use the sliders and prefer to replace the tank or plastic covers, after a fall.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm very reluctant to get frame sliders for this bike. I've read too many incidents (including in this forum if you do a search) of frame sliders breaking the cast engine mounts when a fall happens. Not a desirable outcome. So I have chosen not to use the sliders and prefer to replace the tank or plastic covers, after a fall.
That's definitely a terrible outcome. I noticed the aftermarket frame sliders use the engine mount to bolt into.

OEM Kawasaki ones on partzilla don't use those mounts and so I doubt they could do that. Unfortunately at a much steeper price. They have a part that fits snugly into the circular opening and then bolts into place with a smaller bolt from the bottom (check for the bolt hole there on your bike)

But yeah way more expensive

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The OEM frame sliders look freeking great. I almost got those, but they are not available for online order (where I'm at), I would have to find them in store somewhere.
AS for the frame sliders by vortex, I guess it makes sense now why they have the adapter piece. It rests on the outer edge of the tube, so if you do fall, it shouldn't slam the bolt that goes into your engine mount, the outer rim of the tube and the spacer should take the force of the impact.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.