Kawasaki Z650 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really screwed up but I don’t know what I did.... After installing the fender eliminator and all panels were back in place, I re-installed the seats. Then I realized that I forgot to put back the tool bag back to its place so I tried to unlock the rear seat but it does not unlock. It seems like the linkage to the latch is not grabbing the locking mechanism. What can I do now?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion but that does not help. When I turn the key, it seems like it’s not grabbing/pulling anything inside.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can someone send me a picture showing the locking mechanism under the rear seat? Maybe I can guide a coat hanger with bent end to unlatch the lock???

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to open the rear seat. I loosen the left rear panel to see what’s going on with the key mechanism. Well, the cable was was off cable stay clip that’s why when I turn the key, nothing happens because the cable housing turns with the key turn. I used a long nose pliers to make it stay and pull the latch that locks the seat. After the seat was out, I guided the cable back to its clip.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nice - thanks for sharing!

FWIW, I removed that tool bag...as I didn't find it necessary.
Might use that space for something else like a Rapid Bike or Power Commander later down the line.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was able to open the rear seat. I loosen the left rear panel to see what’s going on with the key mechanism. Well, the cable was was off cable stay clip that’s why when I turn the key, nothing happens because the cable housing turns with the key turn. I used a long nose pliers to make it stay and pull the latch that locks the seat. After the seat was out, I guided the cable back to its clip.
I have the same issue, can you please let me know how you loosened the left rear panel?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the same issue, can you please let me know how you loosened the left rear panel?
I’m sorry to hear that. Well, I’m currently on vacation and I’m not where my Z650 is. But there are 2 (I think) screws that hold the left panel by the engine side. I believe #8 allen wrench. You can remove those screws and that will give you enough room to be able to see what’s going on under the seat. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m sorry to hear that. Well, I’m currently on vacation and I’m not where my Z650 is. But there are 2 (I think) screws that hold the left panel by the engine side. I believe #8 allen wrench. You can remove those screws and that will give you enough room to be able to see what’s going on under the seat. Good luck.
Thank you for taking the time to respond during your vacation. I have placed a picture here, is the only panel you need to remove?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for taking the time to respond during your vacation. I have placed a picture here, is the only panel you need to remove?
No, not that. That’s the engine cover. I might be wrong when I said 2 screws. It’s the left rear panel that extends all the way to the rear light assembly. I think by taking out that engine cover, you already removed the screw that I mention. With that screw removed, you can bend that part of the rear panel to pry on the seat lock.
In my case, I was already ready to break the panel. I was desperate and I was ready to order a replacement if it broke. Luckily, I was able to reach the cable with a long nose pliers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts