Kawasaki Z650 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Z650
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a chain adjustment and a wheel alignment today for the first time. Torqued the axle nut according to the user manual specification but I noticed they didn’t mention the torque specification for the locking nuts on both sides (see picture). Anybody know how tight these need to be?

Also, as a follow-up, is the tape measurement trick reliable? The hash marks are 1 tick apart but the tape measurement from the pivot to the rear axle on both sides are the same. Not sure why the large discrepancy. I saw some people suggest using a Motion Pro tool for measuring sprocket/chain alignment but it seems some people say this is overkill.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Z650
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As a follow-up, I found out the reason the hash marks don't match up is because the hash indicator block on one of the sides wasn't flush and had spun slightly when I tightened the axle nut. Will report back when I get some time to remove the axle and straighten up the block.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I wouldn't worry about torqueing the adjuster locking nuts. Once you have adjusted the chain, just tighten the locking nut so it won't come loose as they are only there to prevent the adjuster nut coming loose and de tensioning the chain - which it won't unless the axel nut comes loose too.
As a check for alignment, if you want to double check against the makings, you can always measure the distance between the tightened locking nut and the end of the adjuster with a tape (presuming that both the adjusters are the same length).

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Z650
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, I wouldn't worry about torqueing the adjuster locking nuts. Once you have adjusted the chain, just tighten the locking nut so it won't come loose as they are only there to prevent the adjuster nut coming loose and de tensioning the chain - which it won't unless the axel nut comes loose too.
As a check for alignment, if you want to double check against the makings, you can always measure the distance between the tightened locking nut and the end of the adjuster with a tape (presuming that both the adjusters are the same length).
Ah, that makes sense now. Yea, my hash mark is totally messed up and got rotated a few degrees clockwise when I tightened the axle nut and so it's not showing the right tick marking. I ended up using a tape measure to measure from the swing pivot to the rear axle and it seemed fine. I'll try measuring the adjusters later today just to check as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ah, that makes sense now. Yea, my hash mark is totally messed up and got rotated a few degrees clockwise when I tightened the axle nut and so it's not showing the right tick marking. I ended up using a tape measure to measure from the swing pivot to the rear axle and it seemed fine. I'll try measuring the adjusters later today just to check as well.
Once you have re torqued the axle nut re check the chain tension sometimes tightening the axle tightens the chain. also check the tension in various spots by turning the rear wheel and adjust where the chain is at its tightest spot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts