Kawasaki Z650 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.

New rider that recently got the 2019 z650.

Unfortunately the day after it got delivered I tipped it over on some gravel and scraped up the left side engine cover (Kawasaki calls the part the Generator Cover)

I wanted to ask if anybody here has experience removing this cover for other maintenance?
If I pop it off and get a new one, should I replace the gasket? Should I lubricate the gasket?

Is there anything else that might pop out or go wrong if I pop the cover off?

I am currently assuming that I'll need to drain out the oil before doing this so I'd do it with the next oil change I have scheduled.

Cheers, Appreciate any advice

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi folks.

New rider that recently got the 2019 z650.

Unfortunately the day after it got delivered I tipped it over on some gravel and scraped up the left side engine cover (Kawasaki calls the part the Generator Cover)

I wanted to ask if anybody here has experience removing this cover for other maintenance?
If I pop it off and get a new one, should I replace the gasket? Should I lubricate the gasket?

Is there anything else that might pop out or go wrong if I pop the cover off?

I am currently assuming that I'll need to drain out the oil before doing this so I'd do it with the next oil change I have scheduled.

Cheers, Appreciate any advice
Couldn't you just bolt on a cover right over it? They're not cheap, at 250 on revzilla, but it's something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Some scrapes won’t hurt unless there is substantial damage that is causing a leak. Like cryco said, they do make covers that you can place over the case if looks is the problem.

But if you do plan on replacing it all together then yes, you must drain the oil and more then likely would need/want a new gasket to go with it. (This is all assuming you go with a whole new cover.) The service manual recommends putting some sort of liquid gasket/sealant along with the new gasket. This would not only help hold the gasket while you put the new cover on, but also helps with a better seal job.
Now I’m not 100% sure you actually need sealant, I’ve read posts with people that have said they never used it and have had no problems with just the gasket alone. I myself just had to replace the clutch cover, (on the other side of the bike) and did not use sealant. Just a new gasket.
As far as your concern about anything popping out. That I’m not sure of, but I doubt it. I’m sure someone with more knowledge will help ya! :)

A final note for you, with the obvious state of the world (pandemic) a lot of parts are on supply chain shortages, at least for kawa. When I had to order a new clutch cover it took a bit longer to arrive but it still shipped like 3 weeks after I originally ordered it. So if you plan on going the whole new cover route, be prepared for that. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I dropped mine in the gravel, it actually slid a ways and had a minor hole. Despite that, the fall was hard enough that I had developed another leak elsewhere, and needed a gasket change. So if you are ordering a new cover, I'd definitely go the new gasket. Just dropping the oil and torqueing everything to spec should see you right. If you can lean it over safely, may not even have to change the oil.

There's a pretty comprehensive video of a guy doing it, pretty simple job

·
Registered
87 Posts
TBH unless your leaking oil or your concerned about the look leave it alone. If you do want to change it it, straight forward drain oil take off cover clean gasket surface swap bits into new cover refit with new gasket, re fill oil. I would put a little copper slip on the bolt threads for future removal. Easy peasy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.