Kawasaki Z650 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya!

I'm coming back to bikes from an extended hiatus, and the Z650 and Z900 have made the short list of what I'll be coming back to. So it made sense to hit up the forums where those who own them congregate. :D I'll be doing a lot of digging and learning, and I appreciate the base of knowledge from which to pull!

·
Super Moderator
316 Posts
Both bikes are nice. I honestly don't need anything more than a 650 because I can do 0 to 100 really fast. The only reason I regret not going with the 900 is the size. I am six foot legs get cramped on long rides.

How tall are you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both bikes are nice. I honestly don't need anything more than a 650 because I can do 0 to 100 really fast. The only reason I regret not going with the 900 is the size. I am six foot legs get cramped on long rides.

How tall are you?
6'1". That's precisely why I was looking at the z900 as well. I won't know until I swing a leg over, though, to know if it's too cramped that an extended reach seat wouldn't do the trick (on either bike, really).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The plus 1 inch seat makes a huge difference.
I can imagine. I've been reading up on the tall rider topic as well, and that pops up a lot. Seems the Corbin seat also helps a little, in not allowing you to slide forward so much. I'd try to get away with NOT lowering the pegs if possible, to avoid scraping sooner (if I even lean that far, but better to not have to worry about it). So while the 900 gives a little more leg room, it seems the trade between the two is agility vs. power. The wife (who is looking at her own bike in the Vulcan S) and I would mostly be doing rural roads versus a ton of city driving, so not sure which of the two would win out on that--the inverted fork of the 900 seems like it would lend itself better to dealing with that, though if the 650 is the more agile, if you're not hitting anything, does the suspension matter as much? With that said, I know I'll eventually be riding to work, and that would involve some Interstate and city driving, but not enough to make it the primary role of the bike. All these things are what led me to both the 650 and the 900, due to their "all-around-pretty-good-at-everything" reputation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm 6'0", got the ergo seat, and find the 650 quite comfortable. I guess the average length of your ride would determine just HOW comfortable you need your motorcycle to be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm 6'0", got the ergo seat, and find the 650 quite comfortable. I guess the average length of your ride would determine just HOW comfortable you need your motorcycle to be.
Great point--I can't see us going for more than four or five hours in a shot--but who knows down the road, later. I know at least at first, it will be riding the roads closer to home, so I can re-familiarize myself with riding again, and she can learn the skills of someone new to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts