Kawasaki Z650 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed some new shorties the other day and I thought the install went smoothly but must have done something wrong along the way. The main problem I’m noticing is the bike is kinda making sort of a ‘whirling’ noise now with the clutch engaged (out all the way) in 4th, or 5th gear is when I mostly notice it.

The new lever seems to be very tight, meaning it feels like it takes way more force on my part to disengage than it did with the stock ones. Now I get that there is slightly less leverage with the shorty than the bigger/longer stock one and haven’t used shorties before so I may just not be used to it yet.

I have tried adjusting the free play at the lever and saw a video that mentioned where it connects to the gearbox, you shouldn’t see movement in that arm really at all until you clear the free play. Mine is moving even with the slightest pull/touch of the clutch lever. Now it’s not moving a lot, but enough for me to notice.

During the install I’m wondering if I accidentally ended up twisting the wire a couple of times when you put the pin its attached to into the new lever on accident that’s making it feel so tight.

I apologize for the text wall this is my last question.
Trying to get the clutch switch off I slightly stripped the heads of the silver screws that hold it in. (I’m an idiot I know) They are not terribly stripped so I could probably get them out again with a proper screwdriver, I would rather just fix it now then have to worry about it for some reason later. So does anyone know the correct size of the screws so I could buy new ones? Rather run to a local hardware store for just the screws then have to buy a whole new switch when the switch is fine. It’s a 2020 and I have looked for the size and could not come up with anything.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey there, is there still room to adjust the free play? See pic below. The closer the nut is to the lever the looser it will get. If you're still showing threads like in the pic that means you can still lossen it up some (by tightening the screw into the clutch lever assembly.. That sound is your clutch being partially disengaged. Its the sound of the plates slipping against eachother. Keep us posted.
Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey there, is there still room to adjust the free play? See pic below. The closer the nut is to the lever the looser it will get. If you're still showing threads like in the pic that means you can still lossen it up some (by tightening the screw into the clutch lever assembly.. That sound is your clutch being partially disengaged. Its the sound of the plates slipping against eachother. Keep us posted. View attachment 5485
Thanks for the reply! There is still some room to move the nut closer to the assembly so I can try that later after work. I don’t really want to be messing with the adjustment down near the gear box cause I’ve read that it shouldn’t really be necessary on a new bike, but if all else fails it looks like that’s what I’ll have to do. Thanks for the heads up on the noise as well! I knew something was off and definitely slipping is no bueno!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts