Kawasaki Z650 banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all!
I’m a new rider and own a 2020 Z650 ABS. I absolutely love the bike, but I hate the big ol’ OEM mirrors they come with. Naturally, I’ve been trying to replace them with some bar end mirrors (preferably while keeping my bar ends), and this is where the problem begins.

When I undo the Allen screw lodged inside the handles, I notice that the bar ends have a “groove” (for lack of better words) at their tip that fits perfectly with a hollow piece inside the bar (see pictures). Basically I purchased the cheap amazon bar ends that look like the CRG Arrow, and I encountered these problems:
1) The bar end mirrors require some sort of coupling to latch onto because the bar diameter is too large. I can’t find anything that could fit.
2) With that coupling mentioned in 1), the “grooves” in the picture would not be able to contact each other to prevent freedom of movement.
3) No bar end mirrors come with extended hex/Allen screws to make up for the added distance once that coupling would be installed.

I know there are tons of people with a LOT more experience than I have at this thing, so I’m looking to pick your brain and get some ideas. Judging from some YouTube videos, I think the 2020 may have a different bar end fittings than previous Z650 models... If you have a 2020 and you’ve done something similar to your bike, if you don’t have a 2020 and had a similar issue you worked around, or if you have some creative inputs in general, please let me know. I really can’t wait to get rid of these OEM mirrors 😫.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I read and felt that they are actually rubber integration involved in the construction of the bar ends to dampen vibration because the twin is known to some people’s dislike. I love to feel my bike buzz and I don’t know if anybody else does but I just threw my two cents in here. I am a new member and thrilled to find this forum.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read and felt that they are actually rubber integration involved in the construction of the bar ends to dampen vibration because the twin is known to some people’s dislike. I love to feel my bike buzz and I don’t know if anybody else does but I just threw my two cents in here. I am a new member and thrilled to find this forum.
Hey brother, thanks for the reply.
They aren’t rubber but a solid, dense piece of metal. But you are right, I read they’re heavy by design to help dampen the vibration and absorb some damage during a potential crash. It’s not the bar ends I’m worried about though, but more so being able to put mirrors on the bar ends.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey @SPAZZZ650, wondering if you figured anything out for this. I just got the 2021 Z650 and and running into the same issue. I watched @Tremonte's video for bar end mirrors, but not sure how to account for the groove in the bar ends on the 2020/2021 Z650.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@laura_whalen2,

Unfortunately not. I’ve come to think that maybe because it’s such a new design, they don’t have any aftermarkets for it yet. We may just have to wait a bit. I’ll keep checking on some of the parts websites every so often to see if something pops up, best believe I’ll let you know if I have good news.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Clever! Please let me know!
Okay, here's the sitch, you can contact Steffen at [email protected] and he can shorten up the spacer on the 2016-2019 bar end that they offer which will make it fit the 2020+. It won't have the notches, but once it's tightened, that won't matter. I'm taking one for the team here and ordered their bar ends with a shortened spacer, and will then send Steffen my OEM bar end so he can make a 2020+ bar end with the notches. So, they may be available on their website in the future, but I have no idea how long that would take.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, you really went above and beyond there. You must really want those OEMs out -haha. I’m really curious as to how that all turns out. Keep us posted and post some pics if you can. We all love seeing other Z650s all hooked up! S/O to you for taking one for the team tho 🤙

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow, you really went above and beyond there. You must really want those OEMs out -haha. I’m really curious as to how that all turns out. Keep us posted and post some pics if you can. We all love seeing other Z650s all hooked up! S/O to you for taking one for the team tho 🤙
I'll definitely post some pictures!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey there I have a 2021 650 and I'm doing this same arrangement with Steffen over at RhinoMoto. To me they look great and fit just fine even without the groove but I am sending him my stock bar ends so he can mold them. Picture of them installed below. I receive my CRG mirrors tomorrow. View attachment 5334
Wow, that actually looks great! Since you’ll be the first to try this, could you tell us how stable it is when you take it for a ride? Despite how smooth and classy these look, I’m concerned they may not have enough weight to keep the CRG steady/keep the mirrors from shaking uncontrollably while riding. But man they really do look awesome!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, that actually looks great! Since you’ll be the first to try this, could you tell us how stable it is when you take it for a ride? Despite how smooth and classy these look, I’m concerned they may not have enough weight to keep the CRG steady/keep the mirrors from shaking uncontrollably while riding. But man they really do look awesome!
You guys are awesome by the way. I should have done what y’all did since I was having these issues, then we all would have been better off by now lol. I love the sense of initiative on you guys’ part

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sure I leave to work in an hour and will let you know this weekend. I also used Blue Loctite to keep them in there. That's removeable compared to the permanent Red Loctite that comes from the factory.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Forgot to mention they also felt heavier in my hand compared to the OEM ones. But I didn't actually weigh them both.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Forgot to mention they also felt heavier in my hand compared to the OEM ones. But I didn't actually weigh them both.
Oh wow, ok! That’s a great start, very promising actually! I just reached out to Steffen btw. I meant to do it after Laura’s post but some stuff got in the way and I put it off. Did he happen to give you an approximate turnaround time?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh wow, ok! That’s a great start, very promising actually! I just reached out to Steffen btw. I meant to do it after Laura’s post but some stuff got in the way and I put it off. Did he happen to give you an approximate turnaround time?
Are you referring to placing an order or the turnaround of him molding my stock ones and putting them online? I don't have an answer to the 2nd question. But I got my new bar ends two days after ordering them. He shipped them the same day as I placed my order. Helps I only live one state over in Arizona. But I couldn't be happier with the speed and quality of service. Here is the link to the ones I ordered. And his original message. He also sent me a return label for my stock ones. Ninja 650 (2017-2019) Mirror Mounts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok that’s what’s up! I’m in Cali, so he’s either in the same State or Also a State over (I doubt he’s in NM lol). Yeah I meant the second question, but that makes sense. I’m definitely getting one of those, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok that’s what’s up! I’m in Cali, so he’s either in the same State or Also a State over (I doubt he’s in NM lol). Yeah I meant the second question, but that makes sense. I’m definitely getting one of those, thanks for sharing!
He's in California as well!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Similar to @Claxton's experience! I'm all the way in Nova Scotia, Canada, and the turnaround time for receiving the bar ends was great! Steffen shipped them the same day I ordered, and he was super responsive via email (probably emailed back and forth about 7-8 times in one day, and he responded to each within the half-hour). Amazing customer service, even with the USD to CAD conversion, it was well worth it because of Steffen!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts