Kawasaki Z650 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I got a Z650 a couple weeks ago, but rode it only couple times since, I got 2018 Z650 with 650 miles on it, so effectively it's still in break in period. I got three questions, first being is it fine for this bike to run so hot? Does it have to do with break in? I was practicing slow maneuvers and riding for an hour or so, while the temps were about 50 F, and my bike got one box away from hot after 20 minutes of practicing. Is it normal for those bikes? Second question would be jerkiness of the throttle(quite possible I'm not used to it yet, but still), getting on gas after letting off in second gear is pretty jerky, is it somethin that the tune should fix? And last but not least I believe there's an exhaust leak, all the way at the bottom, on the stock exhaust, on the can, I can feel very tiny minor blows, is that something that's normal too, or should I have it checked out?
In my plans I got to get Yoshimura, and possibly a tune.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey guys, I got a Z650 a couple weeks ago, but rode it only couple times since, I got 2018 Z650 with 650 miles on it, so effectively it's still in break in period. I got three questions, first being is it fine for this bike to run so hot? Does it have to do with break in? I was practicing slow maneuvers and riding for an hour or so, while the temps were about 50 F, and my bike got one box away from hot after 20 minutes of practicing. Is it normal for those bikes? Second question would be jerkiness of the throttle(quite possible I'm not used to it yet, but still), getting on gas after letting off in second gear is pretty jerky, is it somethin that the tune should fix? And last but not least I believe there's an exhaust leak, all the way at the bottom, on the stock exhaust, on the can, I can feel very tiny minor blows, is that something that's normal too, or should I have it checked out?
In my plans I got to get Yoshimura, and possibly a tune.

·
Registered
30 Posts
1. These bikes do run warm, especially if you're practicing slow speed for a good amount of time. That'll sort out on the free way and it will cool off by a bit later in breakin with good synthetic oil.
2. Throttle is a jerk. A tune may help a bit, but the most you can do is ensure your chain slack is in spec. It has to do with throttle on/off requirements in current smog laws.
3. Most exhausts have a small bleed hile at the very bottom that you will feel a puff from. Check it out with a mirror, if its a perfect circular hole about as wide as pencil lead its normal. A break or crack is not.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you only look at the gauge, they appear to run hot. But -- mine's a '19, so check your owner's manual, the true indication of overheating is all bars on the gauge PLUS a triangular red light that pops on. It doesn't SAY this in the text, but shows it in a little chart.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you only look at the gauge, they appear to run hot. But -- mine's a '19, so check your owner's manual, the true indication of overheating is all bars on the gauge PLUS a triangular red light that pops on. It doesn't SAY this in the text, but shows it in a little chart.
Yes they do show high when in traffic it`s a little disconcerting but their all the same. I suppose we used to seeing norm as the middle of the guage however with the Z that is not the case. Ride on !

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sharkyzzz, I have to commend your attitude and your eagerness to learn your new bike. Plenty of folks just jump on and ride without ever really doing a thorough inspection or learning what is and is not normal. Take good care of the bike and it'll give you trouble-free service for a long, long time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sharkyzzz, I have to commend your attitude and your eagerness to learn your new bike. Plenty of folks just jump on and ride without ever really doing a thorough inspection or learning what is and is not normal. Take good care of the bike and it'll give you trouble-free service for a long, long time.
Thank you! My dad been riding for about 20 years now, mostly sport bikes, right now he has couple of cruisers, and R1. Unfortunately we're on opposite sides of the world, so I love to get opinions from bikers on this part of the world. He always told me that you have to take care of your bike more then you take care of yourself. You never want to take any chances when you take corner one day, and my motorcycle not responding properly.
I appreciate the comment!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts