Kawasaki Z650 banner

New to RS and new to the Forum

4K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Frogonafrog 
#1 ·
Hello All - after lots of years away from riding my youngest son got me back into it. We bought the Triumphs and then I picked up the RS a couple days ago.
Looking forward to hanging out with you. Safe travels!
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tail & brake light

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

See less See more
#4 ·
So I wanted the 650RS but only in the Emerald green and nobody had one when we were looking. Our 2nd choice was the 660's. Found a dealer that had 2 in stock and bought them both over the phone. I am still breaking in both bikes so my opinions are just based on that so far.
Trident
Great looks
Feel the power and torque difference from the RS
Very ridable
Forward lean riding position compared to the RS
Tires feel better than the RS
Bike feels more planted than the RS
Stiffer suspension than the RS
Sounds better than the RS
Better fit and finish

650RS
Killer looks
great seat/riding position
Suspension eats the bumps better but I haven't tried to adjust either bike
More ridable than the 660 (both are very easy to ride tho)
Mirrors have a better rear view
Tranny is smoother less clunky

Both are perfect beginner bikes or like me, back to riding bikes. If I had to have just one today, it would be the Trident. That could change over time, I love them both.

Enjoy yours and safe travels!

#5 ·
only in the Emerald green
Same :-D I kind of lucked out, was browsing dealerships websites one night and saw mine on sale. I jumped on it! I also really like the riding position on the RS but do you feel like the shifter is awkwardly positioned? Almost too close to the peg and it doesn't stick out much. I got used to it in a couple of days but it's still a little awkward compared to what I'm used to.

I wish the RS had ride modes like the trident. I prefer the dash on the RS though. I'm getting used to the engine. It's a little new to figure out which gear to be on for the speed compared to my old bike (which was easier because by the time you reach the last gear you're going 35 so really the last gear is usually the only option). I find the engine kind of 'thumpy' for lack of a better word but tons of fun! I'm being careful with the breaking in though.

Also wish that the RS had the Michelin tires of the trident TBH. They're probably going to be what I go with next time, although so far I like the Dunlops. Again, coming from a CB250, it's a huge improvement no matter what...

I tried a 900RS the same day I tried the 650RS. It's also an amazing bike, for a while I thought that's what I wanted but in the end I figured the 650 would be enough for my needs, and I feel like I've made the right choice. Time will tell but I can't imagine getting tired of the 650. Really would love to try a trident though. Thanks for all your feedback!

#6 ·
I didn't notice the shifter not sticking out enough. Both bikes seem the same to me in that area. "Thumpy" is a good way to say it compared to the 3 cyl 660. I like the sound/feel of the thump.
When I rode before, I rode big, fast sport touring bikes so I was worried about these little 650/660 bikes but for riding to work through the city and day trips, these are perfect. I do my touring in convertible sports cars now.

I am surprised that Kawa didn't do the green color for 2023 again. When I saw the dealer had one, I bought it over the phone too. Got a decent discount as well. I bet the 900RS would be "funner" for me but that green! Just spoke to me.

#7 ·
for riding to work through the city and day trips, these are perfect. I do my touring in convertible sports cars now
Amen to that and nice! :p

Oh I thought they still had the green for 2023? If not that's a big mistake, it's the best color ever. And yeah, if they released the 900RS in that color it'd be hard to resist. Still though, I sure love that 650. Pulls like crazy in traffic, and I'm still staying below 4k rpm for the break in... It's the absolute best way to commute to work, I don't care how cold it is. Feels so planted too... super stable.

#20 ·
Congrats on your learner! Yeah I had read about the jerky throttle in some reviews but so far I haven't experienced it (although I did stall a couple times at a red light (>.<) but that was me not revving the engine enough on 1st). It's a great bike!

It's time for my first chain grease though, and it's got no center stand, so I bought a paddock stand (got it today, it's assembled and ready to go), and now I'm in the process of getting some spools but it's a bit of a pain TBH. Unfortunately the ones I got today are too big for the spool holder (which is a shame because I really like them, they act as sliders too apparently and I would have liked to keep them, but the diameter that's supposed to go in the stand arms is just too big, like 7/8" when it should be 1/2", it's too bad, and I don't have the tools to enlarge the stand arms), so I've just ordered some different ones. Hopefully it works this time so I can lube the chain this week-end.

BTW if you need to buy some too, you need the 8 mm thread, FYI. I had trouble finding the info... But I measured it and 8 mm seemed right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.