Kawasaki Z650 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guys.

Just got my z650 a few weeks ago.

I'm really enjoying the bike but I'm definitely struggling with the engine braking. I did the course on a grom which didn't pull this hard.
Reading up about it, it kind of seems like the engine on the grom should be pulling harder than the z650.

I'm going to be checking that everything is set up as per the manual like clutch and throttle free play and idle speed, but I'd guess the dealership probably checked it and it should all be fine. Seems like from what I read here in the forum, that's just how the bike behaves really.

But cruising at 65mph+ in 6th with high-ish rpms (like 5-6k), if I let off the throttle is pulls me back like I slammed the foot brake. I've seen some guys in YT videos cruising and taking their hands off the throttle to gesture at stuff while they're vlogging, but if I do that, I will probably get launched off the bike. Is that normal?

It's really tiring on the throttle hand to not be able to let off even for a second. Can't really coast the bike unless you use the clutch

If I adjust stuff like idle speed or throttle freeplay will it help me reduce the engine braking even just a little?

Will sprockets do anything?

Or is my best bet here to look into a power commander or something to try tame the engine braking a little bit? What parameters can you adjust in power commander software to achieve that effect? Is it possible?

Hey thanks in advance to anyone who is able to share insights, appreciate any advice here. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
My personal opinion -- leave it alone. As you get accustomed to it and learn how to sort of "feather" your throttle, you will find it one of the many appealing features of the motor. Work on the throttle technique and give it a chance before you try changing anything.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi there guys.

Just got my z650 a few weeks ago.

I'm really enjoying the bike but I'm definitely struggling with the engine braking. I did the course on a grom which didn't pull this hard.
Reading up about it, it kind of seems like the engine on the grom should be pulling harder than the z650.

I'm going to be checking that everything is set up as per the manual like clutch and throttle free play and idle speed, but I'd guess the dealership probably checked it and it should all be fine. Seems like from what I read here in the forum, that's just how the bike behaves really.

But cruising at 65mph+ in 6th with high-ish rpms (like 5-6k), if I let off the throttle is pulls me back like I slammed the foot brake. I've seen some guys in YT videos cruising and taking their hands off the throttle to gesture at stuff while they're vlogging, but if I do that, I will probably get launched off the bike. Is that normal?

It's really tiring on the throttle hand to not be able to let off even for a second. Can't really coast the bike unless you use the clutch

If I adjust stuff like idle speed or throttle freeplay will it help me reduce the engine braking even just a little?

Will sprockets do anything?

Or is my best bet here to look into a power commander or something to try tame the engine braking a little bit? What parameters can you adjust in power commander software to achieve that effect? Is it possible?

Hey thanks in advance to anyone who is able to share insights, appreciate any advice here. :) View attachment 5466
I agree with Oldenslow. You'll get used to it quite soon and then use it to your advantage with braking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My personal opinion -- leave it alone. As you get accustomed to it and learn how to sort of "feather" your throttle, you will find it one of the many appealing features of the motor. Work on the throttle technique and give it a chance before you try changing anything.
I agree with Oldenslow. You'll get used to it quite soon and then use it to your advantage with braking.

will do. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
71 Posts
One tip -- in in-town traffic the engine braking is a great asset when you're trying to maintain your following disance. But don't forget to use your brakes, too, because engine braking won't activate your tail light. Drivers following you are inattentive enough as it is -- don't neglect your only "I'm slowing down" signal, even if you don't need the braking power.

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki Z650
1 Posts
Typically, I use engine braking in any scenario preemptively, and then continue on using my brakes as I'm coming to a stop or with another vehicle behind me. It definitely becomes something you learn to feel out over time, as when you will downshift at times to gain revs and power to pass, you will then notice the right times when to/not to downshift to engine brake. Excellent question though, as its a great skill to master!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts