Kawasaki Z650 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Long story short, just passed the MFC course in NYC. I'm not in the city but still deal with a lot of stop and go, average 25-40 mph with lights and stop signs everywhere.
My question is what seems to be the best gear for this scenario and at what point to downshift (I know depends on so many variables). I've read and watched a ton of stuff, engine breaking, rev matching.... I'll practice stuff as I go but reading our z650 book it seems like downshifting is basically done around 20mph on the z650. I'm not so clear on it. Any advice or breakdown would be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
24 Posts
ignore the shifting point in the manual

don't lug the engine, don't redline it all the time

don't down shifting when rpm is too high, it might lock the rear wheel

learn to shift by engine sound so you don't need to take your eyes off the road when shifting

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That manual got my head all messed up.

So basically I'm fine to downshift from a higher speed and higher gear like 50mph and 6th gear down to 2nd gear to prepare for my turn etc etc as long as Rpms aren't real high. I know I'm trying to match the proper gear to road speed.

Sorry I'm sure there is a clearer way to ask my question.

I totally understand the lugging and screaming of the engine aspect though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks. That manual got my head all messed up.

So basically I'm fine to downshift from a higher speed and higher gear like 50mph and 6th gear down to 2nd gear to prepare for my turn etc etc as long as Rpms aren't real high. I know I'm trying to match the proper gear to road speed.

Sorry I'm sure there is a clearer way to ask my question.

I totally understand the lugging and screaming of the engine aspect though.
yeah that's fine just do it one gear at a time:

clutch in --->down shifting to 5th--->clutch out
clutch in --->down shifting to 4th--->clutch out
repeat until you are in 2nd

don't do this:

clutch in --->down shifting from 6th to 2nd ---> clutch out (unless you are doing emergency brake to complete stop, in which case you downshift to 1st gear)

·
Registered
264 Posts
You don't have to worry too much about downshifting from upper RPM's on the Z650 and locking the rear wheel. That's what the slipper clutch is there for. It prevents the rear wheel lockup and loss of traction. That's one reason so many race teams have adopted them into their setups. Like was mentioned above, pull the clutch in, blip the throttle, downshift one gear, and smoothly release. Rinse, repeat, over and over. Eventually you'll get the timing down. Just don't skip gears, do one at a time until you get the hang of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts