Kawasaki Z650 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I suppose it's normal but when I finish riding with my new 2021 z650 I notice certain smell.. not sure if it's oil or whatever.

All levels are perfect. No strange sounds, no leaks, everything seems to be ok.

Did you notice this on new bikes? Nothing to worry about?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah its that new bike burn smell. There are all kinds of fluids and lubes that are applied to fasteners and connectors in the factory that smell bad when they get hot the first time. Same goes for the fresh new plastics on the body, wires, connectors, etc. Think of it as a curing smell and don't sweat it too much. It does bother me every time I ride a new bike too though. It'll clear after the first 700-1000 miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. 600 miles now so.. first service ahead... Nothing to complain about. So much fun! :giggle:

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Z650
40 Posts
I’m at almost 3000 miles and still smell that burning smell after I ride...

·
Registered
64 Posts
To me it's a combination of "new bike" smell (which fades over time but consists mostly of curing paint and outgassing from vinyl seats and rubber components like coolant hoses and tires), and everyday "internal combustion engine" smells of hot metal and oil, plus a hint of gasoline and exhaust, which every bike has as long as it's running. Most of the time I don't notice the smells of my bikes all that much, but when I pull one in to my bike shed after a ride and turn it off, I'm engulfed by the odors in the confined space. Good smell!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Inspect the muffler. Sometimes a plastic bag or any other plastic gets on the muffler and that's what the burning smelling comes from. That happened to one of my bikes.
So, when the muffler is cold remove the burning bag using a sharp knife.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts