Kawasaki Z650 banner

Radiator Guard - Needed?

7K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  1952paul0 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Question here, has anyone put a radiator guard on your z650 or do you think it would be a good thing to add? I found one made by R&G for $65 but wanted to know your opinions before spending the money. I would assume where one intends to ride would play some role in the importance of having one. I mainly will be riding my bike around town and on the freeway (no major gravel truck routes or anything).

Thanks.

- Nate

#12 ·
I'm not sure these bikes do run warm like everybody says. I tend to think its just calibration of the Temperature bars in the display that lead everybody to "think" they are running hot. I have the new model which displays the actual temperature and its always what I would call normal.

#6 ·
I've used R & G and Cox brand radiator guards on other bikes, and none obstructed air flow to the point of overheating. I would think that sales would plummet on these items if they did. Even Kawasaki makes their own, so must think it is even slightly useful in protecting the expensive radiator. I have also made my own; they all protect the radiator, and Kawasaki provided it with 4 mounting tabs to make it easy to mount.

#7 ·
I really don't think you'd have much to worry about with the guard restricting air flow as I'm sure that's all been tested prior to them released said product. But, I think it's always great to have one just because why take the risk to get caught without one? Pros outweigh the cons, and if it saves you from a ton of rocks, it potentially paid itself off

#11 ·
Hey guys,

Question here, has anyone put a radiator guard on your z650 or do you think it would be a good thing to add? I found one made by R&G for $65 but wanted to know your opinions before spending the money. I would assume where one intends to ride would play some role in the importance of having one. I mainly will be riding my bike around town and on the freeway (no major gravel truck routes or anything).

Thanks.

- Nate
I fitted the r&g One and its fine no overheating works just the same as without.

#15 ·
Hi, I have never had a stone through the radiator in many years of riding .....yet.
And having a guard isn't a guarantee something small and hard won't get through and damage the rad.

But seeing the price Mr Kawasaki is asking for a replacement radiator is £527.98 inc VAT here in the UK, there is a good argument to buy a guard if you can afford it. Then if you ever notice a dent in it, you know you had made the right decision.

Check out KEPCC for their spares prices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.