Kawasaki Z650 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Z650 '18
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!!

I just got my new exhaust recently and I'm about to install it this weekend on my Z650, but from what I've heard/read, its pretty common to get a CE-Light due the O2-sensor throwing an error once you exchangeyour exhaust.

I'm already aware that you can manually reset the CE by letting the bike idle for a while and riding it at a certain speed (and repeating the process), but i was wondering if its dangerous for the engine? (riding the bike with a CE). I could have it reset (in case it causes an error) from a Kawa tech, but that will take at least a month since they are booked out...

If people have some experience with this topic I'd love to hear some advices/suggestions in case I'll run into problems!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello everyone!!

I just got my new exhaust recently and I'm about to install it this weekend on my Z650, but from what I've heard/read, its pretty common to get a CE-Light due the O2-sensor throwing an error once you exchangeyour exhaust.

I'm already aware that you can manually reset the CE by letting the bike idle for a while and riding it at a certain speed (and repeating the process), but i was wondering if its dangerous for the engine? (riding the bike with a CE). I could have it reset (in case it causes an error) from a Kawa tech, but that will take at least a month since they are booked out...

If people have some experience with this topic I'd love to hear some advices/suggestions in case I'll run into problems!!
If the O2 sensor isn't functioning properly the engine will run rich with fuel. I don't think it will hurt anything but you will see reduced fuel mileage. I installed a Delkevic exhaust on mine and it didn't make the check engine light come on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone!!

Hi did you install the SC Project exhaust yet? And did the CE-light came on?

I'm planning on getting the same exhaust for my 2021 Z650.

·
Registered
Z650 '18
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi did you install the SC Project exhaust yet? And did the CE-light came on?

I'm planning on getting the same exhaust for my 2021 Z650.
Hey there!

I have had my exhaust installed now for a while and I had no issues! Everything worked just fine and muffler became louder and louder over time. You ll love your system, look forward to it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey there!

I have had my exhaust installed now for a while and I had no issues! Everything worked just fine and muffler became louder and louder over time. You ll love your system, look forward to it!
Did you kept the DB killer in or out? And if you removed it was it hard to get out?

·
Registered
Z650 '18
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello!

since I live in Germany, its illegal to do so. The exhaust is already really loud and backfires like crazy, imo it would be too much.
Idk bout the US version of the SC-1 pipe but since EURO4 manufacturers are forced to make their exhausts in a way that you cant remove the DB-Killer easily.
You are forced to destroy/drill something to get the DB-Killer out, which is an evidence for police that you manipulated your exhaust (which is against the law).
In our case you need to drill the carbon end of the muffler to access the bolt that holds the DB-Killer in place. I ve found an example picture aswell:
Light Automotive lighting Hood Tool Musical instrument accessory

Hope this answers your question!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello!

since I live in Germany, its illegal to do so. The exhaust is already really loud and backfires like crazy, imo it would be too much.
Idk bout the US version of the SC-1 pipe but since EURO4 manufacturers are forced to make their exhausts in a way that you cant remove the DB-Killer easily.
You are forced to destroy/drill something to get the DB-Killer out, which is an evidence for police that you manipulated your exhaust (which is against the law).
In our case you need to drill the carbon end of the muffler to access the bolt that holds the DB-Killer in place. I ve found an example picture aswell:
View attachment 5505

Hope this answers your question!
Oh wow I didn't know that but I don't think they have that law here in Canada I do see lots of bikes out that doesn't have the DB Killer in and there fine. Thank you for this. Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.