Kawasaki Z650 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive design Black-and-white Font Monochrome photography

Hello. unfortunately i'm one of the many who had my rear seat get stuck by objects under it and I have a potential buyer coming to look at the bike in a few days and need to get my registration and similar out from under the seat. I've tried shaking the bike, tried sticking a screwdriver in(either not long enough or i just cant find the right spot to press), pulling the plugs on the underside and fishing around etc. I think I could remove the screws that hold the bar/latch assembly together(part C in the picture) to remove pillion seat from the bracket, would this work to get the seat off? If so, what size is the nut, I will need to buy a thin wrench of the right size.

Thanks,
fib.

·
Registered
1992 ZX-7 2017 z650
88 Posts
Have you tried pushing down hard on the seat where it latches, turn the key all the way, then pull up? Try pushing on different spots too.

I've gotten mine stuck before and this usually does the trick. I think you need to push down for the latch to "unhook" itself.

If that doesn't work I'd probably try moving stuff around by taking the side panels off and poking them with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried pushing down hard on the seat where it latches, turn the key all the way, then pull up? Try pushing on different spots too. I've gotten mine stuck before and this usually does the trick. I think you need to push down for the latch to "unhook" itself. If that doesn't work I'd probably try moving stuff around by taking the side panels off and poking them with a screwdriver.
I've tried banging on the seat while turning, shaking the bike, pulling on the seat while turning etc. the key was turning a bit at the start and now it doesn't turn at all. the seat seems very loose but the key won't turn at all. How do I get the tail side fairings off without removing the seat? last I remember from doing my tail tidy the screws are covered up by the seat.

·
Registered
1992 ZX-7 2017 z650
88 Posts
You're right about the side covers, apologies, didn't think that through. I'll take a look at my seat tonight to see if there's anything else I can come up with. I've always been able to unstick it by pushing down while turning the key, but sounds like yours is pretty stuck 😕

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're right about the side covers, apologies, didn't think that through. I'll take a look at my seat tonight to see if there's anything else I can come up with. I've always been able to unstick it by pushing down while turning the key, but sounds like yours is pretty stuck 😕
Thanks, I appreciate it. Gonna go buy a long skinny screw driver but if you could check what size the nuts are on C in the diagram and confirm whether or not that would release the seat, I will buy a skinny wrench and try that method too.

·
Registered
1992 ZX-7 2017 z650
88 Posts
I completely forgot to do this last night. Gonna write a note on my hand to check tonight! I'll get back to you with the size of the nuts. Keep in mind this is for a 2017 Z650, but it's probably the same.

·
Registered
1992 ZX-7 2017 z650
88 Posts
There are three 10mm nuts holding the latch assembly (C) to the seat. However, when I removed them, I still couldn't get the assembly off. I didn't try a lot of force, but I leveraged it a bit with a screwdriver and it didn't budge much. They're nylon lock nuts and the threaded posts are pretty long, so it takes quite a few turns to get them off.

Here are some pics that might help:

You can get your finger on the latch here:
Bumper Musical instrument accessory Automotive exterior Auto part Audio equipment

Push it towards you:
Rim Auto part Audio equipment Metal Automotive tire

You can do the same from here:
Bumper Finger Automotive exterior Vehicle door Motor vehicle

If you get the latch undone, pull up, then pull forward to get the seat out of this:
Motor vehicle Hood Steering part Automotive tire Automotive design

Here's what the underside of the seat looks like:
Automotive tire Rim Bumper Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior

1 - 11 of 11 Posts