Kawasaki Z650 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1992 ZX750-J 2017 z650 2017 RC390
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: SOLVED. I want to leave this up here for anybody else that it might help. Tip sensor was installed upside down :). I thought it was just another relay of some sort, but there's a tip sensor towards the top of the tank near the flasher relay. Once I righted it, all was well. Have a good and safe weekend errbody.

Hey All,

Having some difficult-to-diagnose starting troubles. This is a U.S. 2017 with ~4000 miles.

I'll give you the timeline:
  1. Yesterday, I left ignition on at work, had to get a jump. Rode home no problem.
  2. New parts had arrived, decided to install them. Don't think I did another start after the jump (oops).
  3. Installed new air filter and booster plug. Buttoned up and went to bed.
  4. Bike wouldn't start this morning. Tried several times, then noticed the vacuum tube at the rear of the tank was disconnected (oops).
  5. Reconnected, still wouldn't start. Tried several times. It cranks fine, battery is good.
  6. Finally started for like 2-3 seconds, then died. I got this result one more time later on.
  7. Removed booster plug and re-installed back to stock.
  8. Checked all fuses (they're all at the front left, right? no hidden ones?)
  9. Still no start. Disconnected battery for ~30 mins, still no start.
Here's what I'm seeing:
  1. Battery voltage is good. Left on a tender for a few hours, 100%.
  2. Cranks well, doesn't seem weak, though battery died after ~20 cranks.
  3. Air filter just drops in, so I don't think that could be installed incorrectly, causing an air blockage or something.
  4. Haven't checked spark.
Seems like a fueling issue, maybe? When ever I pull the tank, there's plenty of gas in the fuel line. I'm at a total loss. I've always done my own work on bikes and just don't know where to go from here.

Tried the odometer-two-button-press to get any error codes, it just goes to the rev counter. Started looking into Kawi-specific obd2 tools, but didn't want to pull the trigger yet.

I'm pretty surprised that I managed to get a no-start scenario with so little tinkering. It usually takes me a lot more :)

Anyway, it's labor day weekend and I want to ride, any help is VERY much appreciated :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any update on spark test? This does sound like a fueling issue, even if there is fuel in the line the pump may not be priming. Can you hear the pump "whirring" when you turn the bike on before cranking?

·
Registered
1992 ZX750-J 2017 z650 2017 RC390
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any update on spark test? This does sound like a fueling issue, even if there is fuel in the line the pump may not be priming. Can you hear the pump "whirring" when you turn the bike on before cranking?
Sorry, I put the resolution at the top of the post as an edit, probably should have just replied to it, my bad :)

It was a tip over sensor installed upside down. Took me way too long to figure it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts