Kawasaki Z650 banner

Trio Of Middleweight-Twins Comparison Test

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Chris Dolan 
#1 ·

Being a middleweight-twins motorcycle is hard, they have to both satisfy a new rider and be fun enough to lure in riders with a few years of experience. The Kawasaki Z650, Suzuki SV650, and Yamaha FZ-07 are all sitting in this category and they’re being put to the test by CycleWorld. Travelling from their office toward Borrego Springs, the bikes were tested with a mix of highway and back road riding.

First up is the 2017 Kawasaki Z650 with its lightweight trellis-style frame, new assist and slipper clutch, a fancy gauge cluster with gear-position indicator, and optional ABS. There’s decent suspension feel and the low seat height makes it more accommodating for a variety of riders. But where the Z650 fell behind is the 59.9 hp engine. Sure it may have more midrange grunt than older Kawasaki twins, but once you go past 4,500 rpm, vibrations can felt via the seat, handlebar, and footpegs.

Then there’s the less aggressively designed 2017 Suzuki SV650, which is powered by an updated V-twin engine. It’s stable, predictable and feels planted in curves with minimal vibrations at 5,000 rpm. Combined with the low-rpm assist feature and you have a pretty decent new rider bike on your hands. Though it does have less torque than the FZ-07; 44.2 pound-feet at 8,000 rpm compared to Yamaha’s 46.3 pound-feet at 6,290 rpm.

Which brings us to the last middleweight-twin, and the reviewers’ thoughts on the FZ-07 can be summed up in a few words; “third-gear wheelies!” They describe it as a w3ell rounded bike that is more fun to ride than any mid-level bike before it. High praise and it’s backed up by the engine’s broad range of power, low body weight and handling ease.

We can gather that the group’s favourite is the FZ-07, but the real winner is whichever model that calls your garage home.

See less See more
#2 ·
So anyone here make that comparison yourselves? Anyone test the SV or the FZ before choosing the Z650? I'm starting to feel compelled to purchase the Z 'cuz my dealer has a used one in stock....but just don't feel it would be wise until I test ride the other two. Of course by then...the one my dealer has will be gone. ;)

#3 ·
Just got a new 2017 Z 650 last Wednesday.

Ran it on Palomar and Mesa Grande, today.

Like it a bunch.

Suspension was right on the money for my 180 ish rider weight in full dead cow attire.

Have a very modified FZ 07 that I got about 4 years ago.

Will try some comparisons in the coming weeks.

Z 650 weighed 409, full tank, on a scale at Handy Metal Mart. where I weigh all my modern bikes.

The FZ 07 was 400, even, but holds 1/2 gallon less ( 3 Lbs )

#4 ·
Just got a Z 650 last Wednesday.

Ran on Palomar and Mesa Grande , today, and liked it a bunch.

I have a very modified FZ 07 that I got about 4 years ago.

Will be doing some comparisons in the coming weeks.

Suspension is just about right on the money for my 180ish weight in full dead cow attire.

Already have a full Akra and lithium battery, that I had a month before I even got the bike.

Took a bit longer to get the best deal, but managed $ 5500 OTD , even with high Cali reg and tax.

This was with the help of a $ 500 off coupon from Kawasaki.

The battery and exhaust got the bike down from 409 to 397 with full tank.

The FZ 07 was 400, even, stock on the same scale at Handy Metal Mart.

The Kaw holds 1/2 a gallon more gas, so that was about 3 Lbs in the difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.