Kawasaki Z650 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through some older threads discussing the Fault Code 25 (Gear Position Sensor). There's a lot of back and forth and what not.
I recently put on the Vortex Quick Accel Sprockets and chain kit. From the prior threads it seams the ABS version of the Z650 will throw this specific code when you change the sprocket sizes.
Besides a CEL the gears no longer are displayed and instead is just a couple dashes "--". Not the biggest issue as the bike runs perfectly fine.

I am curious if anyone has found a remedy to correct the display and CEL to this beside putting back on the stock sprockets?

·
Registered
1992 ZX-7 2017 z650
79 Posts
Short the clutch safety switch. Sounds crazy, did it a month or so ago, works.

Disconnected clutch safety switch, inserted a metal connector of some sort (even just a paperclip would work), taped it up.

I do not know if this prevents other CELs that you do want to know about, however. I'm just taking the chance 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Disconnected clutch safety switch, inserted a metal connector of some sort (even just a paperclip would work), taped it up.

I do not know if this prevents other CELs that you do want to know about, however. I'm just taking the chance 🤷‍♂️
Interesting if that works. I will report back with the results, should be extremely simple to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Shorted and turned bike on. Did not do anything. Do not see how it would anyways. Its no different then if you pull the clutch in without the short..

·
Registered
1992 ZX-7 2017 z650
79 Posts
p.s. - I'd try it that way for a few rides. I know the ecu needs a few rides to clear CELs, so since yours is already tripped, maybe that's why it's not working. It could also be a model year difference if you don't have a 2017.

I don't know the exact parameters, but it's something like the bike has to be above 25mph for 10-15 minutes, do that 3 or 4 times and it resets the CEL.

Now that I'm thinking about it, that's gotta be it. You most likely just need to reset the current CEL. I'd keep it shorted for a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts